low tide

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

nybor

low tide

Post by nybor »

I have the the ability to purchase a lot with a dock near Cedar Key (FL). However, the seller said that when the tide goes out, sometimes all that is left is mud. As I write this, I am convinced it would be a bad idea having my boat sit on a mud flat for several hours per day. But, can someone (or all of you) tell me what a stupid Idea this would be?
thanks

dave
saileagleswings

Re: low tide

Post by saileagleswings »

Why Cedar Key? Do you live near Cedar Key? Are there any sailboats there? If you live near Gainesville, I suggest St Augustine or Orange Park. If you live south of Gainesville, why not Tampa Bay? Waterfront lots are available here in Punta Gorda Iles if you are moving to Florida.
pdenoncourt

Post by pdenoncourt »

If the there is only mud at low tide, then there is only shallow water at high tide. At Cedar Key the tidal difference is only about 3'-4' - not enough to float a C-350. So you would be in the mud permanently. Bad idea! :(
nybor

Post by nybor »

Thanks to the responses. I live in Gainesville and the lot had a lot (!) to offer as well. I will probably look at St Augustine. But what I am really trying to find is a place that you don't have to go under 20 bridges to get to open agua!

dave
dochip

Post by dochip »

Dave:
I used to live in Gainesville and "commuted" to St. Augustine to get to my boat. Then I moved to St. Augustine, and commuted to Gainesville to work.
Then we moved to Fort Myers, where I am 5 minutes from the boat, which is joy.
Here's my take: If I were you I'd seriously research the Tampa Bay area. It's only 10 minutes farther by car from Gainesville than St. Augustine, but offers much more in the way of sailing variety—both of day-sailing and longer trips. I loved St. Augustine, it is a wonderful place full of great people (the Sailor's Exchange there is an amazing resource), BUT the sailing is not as good there. Your choices are up and down the ICW, or going out the sometimes challenging inlet into the Atlantic and sailing up and down.
By contrast, the Tampa Bay area, and its access to the Gulf offers more in the way of sailing variety. as well as destinations like restaurants with docks or marinas that are do-able in a few hours or a weekend.
All depends on the sort of sailing you do, and remember that in winter it's warmer in Tampa than St. A.
Best,
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

I think Dave works for the Tampa/St. Pete Chamber of Commerce.

Honestly, I have to agree with him, we live in Clearwater and keep The Best of Times at the Clearwater Downtown Municipal Marina. It is a nearly new multi-million dollar facility with floating docks directly in downtown Clearwater. There are numerous events at Coachman Park beside the marina with major concerts like the Annual Clearwater Jazz Concert. Through the summer there are free concerts on Cleveland Street on the last Friday of the month.

As to sailing, the Clearwater/Tampa Bay area is right in the middle of some great sailing. A 'sheltered' portion of the ICW extends from Tarpon Springs north of the bay to Ft. Myers south of the bay, with numerous passes into the Gulf if you want to sail offshore. In fact from our dock at the Clearwater Marina, we can be in the Gulf of Mexico in less than 30 minutes, going under only one bridge that has 74 feet of clearance. There are numerous marinas, yacht clubs and restaurants along the ICW and around Tampa Bay and Charlotte Harbor as well as an unlimited number of barrier islands to explore and enjoy.

One of our dock mates has a Morgan 38 and lives in Deland and commute over to Clearwater on weekends and any time they can get off to sail. It's really a great location.

Good Luck
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
nybor

Post by nybor »

Rats. Just when I was excited to move it to ST. A,....... But I do agree the tides can be a bit tricky. However, if I said I wanted to do more sailing to the Bahamas than Gulf sailing, would that change both or your minds? Once I ACTUALLY stop working (already retired as a UF Engineering Prof - now consultant), I don't think it matters where she (NYBOR- Robyn spelled backwards) is located.

And the drive time is strange. I can get to Merritt Island from GNV in 2+ hours (kinda fast driving), and it is 1.6 hours to St. Augustine!!! I do Tampa in 2 as well.

thanks for the input

dave
oceanray

Post by oceanray »

Have been in your predicament a number of times...

Relative to your location...there are a couple of excellent little marinas in Palatka...awesome weekend getaway spot especially if you go hide amongst the islands on the st johns...virtually no hull maintenance and you have the mug race every May. St Johns is a wonderful place to explore for a year or three.

We have three grown up kids in Tampa area...maybe 5 years from now we may move My Sweet Anne over to the Gulf...it really is an excellent area for a C350.

We currently keep ours at Harbor Town Marina on North Merritt Island with 3-4 other c350s a couple of c34s and a c310. 30 minutes to open ocean or 30 minutes to long reaches up and down the Indian River lagoon. HTM is a genuine hurricane hole.
Keith
My Sweet Anne VI
dochip

Post by dochip »

I concur and admit forgetting about Palatka. Unless of course you are bothered by alligators