Leaking Fuel Tank

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

dpaulo

Leaking Fuel Tank

Post by dpaulo »

The morning of a planned week-long September sail on Ease Alee we smelled a strong diesel smell in the cabin. It didn't take long to discover a thick layer of diesel fuel floating on top of our bilge water and then a small continuous leak of fuel from the foreward starboard corner of our fuel tank. Our marina responded quickly to pump 25 gallons of fuel out of the tank and into a clean barrel. Now the metal tank has to come out for repair or replacement. My questions are 1) has this been an issue for anyone else yet? Ease Alee is Hull #3, early 2003 model. 2) Are there any tips or advice for removing and reinstalling the tank? 3) Are there any recommended sources for tank replacement?

I'm triple bummed out as I had scheduled two weeks of sailing in September and October and the expense makes this grown man cry. Any advice appreciated. Dan
KenKrawford

Re: Leaking Fuel Tank

Post by KenKrawford »

Dan, sorry to hear about your tank problems. I suspect this tank is custom made for Catalina due to its unusual shape and tapers. Your best bet (and probably cheapest) is to call Catalina parts at 727-544-6681.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
MorningStar

Re: Leaking Fuel Tank

Post by MorningStar »

I discovered this weekend that my fuel tank is leaking. I can't see where but fuel is leaking out and into the bilge. This is hull #35. Any advise on getting the tank out. Repair? or replace? Any input appreciated.
Barry Dupuy
s/v Morning Star #35
Kemah, TX