Folding wheel

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Triumph

Folding wheel

Post by Triumph »

Help. I'm on the road and have an opportunity to buy a folding steering wheel. It's a 40 inch that is on a Catalina 310. (To big for them). What is the size of our wheel? Would that work? Is the hub the same?

Bill in Triumph
Fat Cat

Re: Folding wheel

Post by Fat Cat »

These folding wheels aren't cheap, but we decided it would be worth the expense - more room in the cockpit and a warmer, leather-wrapped wheel to hang on to. Our supplier accidentally shipped us a 40" wheel Lewmar wheel instead of the 36". Our observations after the error was made:

1. The hub is the same size.
2. The small difference in diameter is quite significant. The 40" wheel is now larger and harder to get around, and when folded, does not give you the maximum extra space you've just spent money on to achieve.
3. We have a Sunbrella cover which fits over the wheel, pedestal, and cockpit table. This would no longer fit with the larger wheel... something to keep in mind if you have one as well.

Conclusion: very happy with the 36" wheel.

Fat Cat
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

Wow. I would not have guessed that our wheel was 36". Great info, I really appreciate your reply. I will get the opportunity to try one out before buying. But it doesn't sound likely that we'll go with it if it doesn't give us more room
ldirubbo

Post by ldirubbo »

The previous owner of my boat installed a folding wheel and I am changing back to the old one. The wheel after awhile seems to get loose and difficult to tighten. I just don't like the feel. One person I know bought a wheel hub that attached to the outside of the rail and he simply takes the wheel off and mounts it.

I also believe you can buy a kit to install a leather wheel cover if you want a warmer feel.