Anchor for our 350

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Paul

Anchor for our 350

Post by Paul »

When we purchased our 2003 350 in October. It didn't come with a anchor. The dealer said the PO wanted to keep it.

What is the best size and fit for the bow roller?

Thanks!
KevinMc

Re: Anchor for our 350

Post by KevinMc »

I'm the third owner of my 20043 350 (hull #59) and it came with a claw anchor, 50 feet of chain and 150 feet of rode. The claw anchor fits well in the bow roller. An issue is the center of gravity for the claw anchor is so far back in the bow roller you need to "kick" or push the anchor out of the bow roller when the windlass is released. Otherwise the anchor will stay seated in the bow roller and the chain will just feed into the anchor locker from the windlass.

I suggest you choose the anchor for the type of bottom you will be dealing with and the scope of chain-road for the average depth of water you will be anchoring in.

In the Chesapeake Bay it's mud, sand and the average depth for anchoring might be 8-15 feet. Using a 5-7 times water depth for the scope - 50 feet of chain works for me.

I also suggest you always have a back up plan and the emergency plan. My 350 came with a spare Danforth anchor with 50 ft chain - 100 ft rode and I keep the Danforth anchor, chain and rode in the anchor locker (backup plan). I also keep a line tied from the cleat in the anchor locker to the claw anchor in the anchor roller so if the windlass releases for some reason while underway I won't have my anchor running free while sailing.
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

We typically anchor in sand and mud. We use a Bruce anchor and my neighbour on his Cat 36 uses a Rochna. Both have never let go in mud and sand. The Rochna has a better reputation in resetting and in a wider range of bottom types.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
wcconway

Post by wcconway »

We started out with a claw, but upgraded to a 35 lb Delta with 100' of g-4 5/16" chain and 200' of 5/8 anchor line. We also have a Danforth that was donated from my dad's C400 when he upgraded. We think it's a 35 or 40 lb with 20' of chain and 150' of anchor line. We sail the Gulf Coast which is sand and mud, including trips to the West Coast of Florida and the Keys. We've only had to call Boat US for a tow one time and that was in the most protected anchorage in the Pensacola area (it was a fluke).
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida