Transmission Position When Sailing?

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Chuck_on_Hudson

Transmission Position When Sailing?

Post by Chuck_on_Hudson »

When sailing is there a recommended position for the transmission?

Should it be put into reverse to prevent the prop and shaft from freewheeling?

Thanks,

Charlie
russp

Re: Transmission Position When Sailing?

Post by russp »

Hi Charlie,
Will be interesting to hear what others know. If you check the Hurth manual with the boat's books you will find that they don't mind, they state gearbox can be left in neutral. However, I was told that if you have a PSS seal and allow the shaft to spin for an extended period without water injection you can dry out the seal and destroy the carbon face.
I don't know if this is fact or not, but rather than risk destroying my seal I have always kept the gearbox in reverse when sailing, with consequent high drag. I have now overcome that problem by fitting a Kiwi self feathering prop which has other issues, but doesn't spin the shaft when in neutral.

Russ Peel
Avalon #150
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
yodagwb

Post by yodagwb »

The instructions that came with my boat said to place trans in reverse to prevent freewheeling.
Capt. Nini

Post by Capt. Nini »

I just talked (16 Sep. 2014) to Fred Hutchenson at PSI and he said that it does not matter if the transmission free wheels on our boats. It is only a problem if the boat planes and sucks the water out.
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

I put mine in reverse. I don't like to hear the prop freewheeling.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

I would also suspect that putting it in reverse reduces wear on the cutlass bearing and some bearings or thrust washer in the transmission. The shaft seal is not the only thing moving when the prop is turning.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)