stiff throttle / shift lever

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

william vanwagoner

stiff throttle / shift lever

Post by william vanwagoner »

The throttle - shift lever seems to have gotten stiffer over time, and is especially noticeable when pushing it forward at higher revs. I am not sure if the lever just needs some sort of lubrication or if it is the throttle cable (shifting seems ok, it is when lever is further away from center where it stiffens up). Has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions on how to maintain this system or experience replacing the cable would be appreciated.
Bill VanWagoner
Destiny #229
leigh weiss

Re: stiff throttle / shift lever

Post by leigh weiss »

Bill,
I used motorcycle chain lube spray for the cables. (found at an auto parts store)
Stiff cables often times are a precursor of cable failure if not lubed.
I disconnect the cables from the engine side and spray a small amount on the cable at the control side and slowly work the lube down the cable center. Takes some time but well worth the effort.
The same lube is used on the steering chain and shivs. This service is part of my spring commissioning.

Leigh Weiss

Brisa #155
Upper Chesapeake Bay MD.
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
william vanwagoner

Post by william vanwagoner »

Thank you for the reply. One concern I have is if the control cables are made by Teleflex ( which seems to be the predominant manufacturer of such things) they instruct not to lubricate the cables. I have emailed Ken at the Catalina parts department to see if t hey have replacement cables, and it not hopefully he can provide me with manufacturer, part numbers etc. Again, if anyone has replaced their control cables I would appreciate any info you may have learned along the way.

Thanks,
Bill
Bill VanWagoner
Destiny #229
NormSail350

Post by NormSail350 »

Hi, I see the old thread related to stiff throttle. I have a stiff throttle as it opens to to uper end. It seems that it is only stiff when in gear - I have to kind of bump on it with the palm of my hand to open further. Above 2200 RPMS or so, the throttle is stiff (sticky).

The top end of the throttle cable seems to be hard to reach - inside the Edson pedestal. The lower end at engine/transmission seems fine.

Any recent experiences? Is this s throttle cable or perhaps transmission? I have ZF MA15 transmission - was installed about 5 years ago.
NormSail350
Escape (hull #40)
Palmetto Bay, FL (Miami)