Stern Cleats

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

JerryRoss

Stern Cleats

Post by JerryRoss »

I plan to add two additional stern cleats to my C350 and position them somewhat outboard of and above the air vent scopes. The purpose is to cross-tie without running lines around the vertical stanchions supporting the perch seats. I would appreciate any words of wisdom or comments and pictures about how others have done this. Thanks.
Jerry Ross
s/v Coquillage
Catalina 350, Hull #350
belladonna

Re: Stern Cleats

Post by belladonna »

Hello Jerry - I'm planning to add two additional 12" cleats (same style as all other cleats on the 350) to the transom for the same reason that you wanted to; I note that many Beneteau's have the same arrangement. Did you ever get any feedback on your post and more importantly do you do the installation. If so I would love to hear from you. Thanx, Jim
Jim Lassiter
2005 Catalina 350 "BELLA DONNA" # 368
White Stone, VA (lower Chesapeake Bay)
cuthbert

Post by cuthbert »

Re the stern cleats it'll am looking to add an additional cleat to tow an inflatable. Rather than adding a pair at the transom I was toying with the idea of adding a central cleat on rear of the removable seat/step at the helm. It appears suitably located and when locked in place should be ok with a light load. Any others considered this and implemented or discarded as impractical?
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

cuthbert wrote:Re the stern cleats it'll am looking to add an additional cleat to tow an inflatable. Rather than adding a pair at the transom I was toying with the idea of adding a central cleat on rear of the removable seat/step at the helm. It appears suitably located and when locked in place should be ok with a light load. Any others considered this and implemented or discarded as impractical?
The removable seat is not secure enough for towing a dingy (IMO). It would also "work" the seat to locker fiberglass to fiberglass junction each time the dingy line changes orientation.

I like the idea of a bridle (line to each side of the boat) as the dingy will track a lot better than a single line.

Brett
2004 350 #180
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Richard Ad

Post by Richard Ad »

Cleat on removable seat.... BAD IDEA!!!! Hypothetically; do not actually do this, next time you're under sail let out 30' of painter and hold it with just your hand. This will give you an idea of the opposing force(s) your dinghy creates; especially when your dinghy hits a wake or chop.
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

I certainly would not count on the seat to tow the dinghy.

What I did was replace one of the two bolts that secure the quadrant preventer cable with an eye bolt. This is in the center of the stern down low. I think that there is a backing plate already there too. To this I added a quick release shackle with a small painter on it. To take off in the dinghy I can just reach over and pull the shackle line and we're off and away.

My rule of thumb is to always use two lines when securing the dinghy to the boat or towing it. I also added small handles to the side of the stern lockers for something to grab when exiting the dinghy. I tie the second line to this. The stern lockers are the ones adjacent to the swim ladder. These handles are easy to install, and easy to add backing to.

Bill on Triumph
cuthbert

Post by cuthbert »

"What I did was replace one of the two bolts that secure the quadrant preventer cable with an eye bolt. This is in the center of the stern down low. I think that there is a backing plate already there too. To this I added a quick release shackle with a small painter on it. To take off in the dinghy I can just reach over and pull the shackle line and we're off and away.'

Can you post a pic of this? I am adverse to adding anything to the transom even if its into teh stern locker and currently just tie off to the stanchions, I tow the dink a fair bit so am ruminating on all the options before I commit to something new and more elegant.
cuthbert

Re: Stern Cleats and now a few questions about the steering

Post by cuthbert »

I hope the picture attachments appear......I was rummaging around in the back and looking at this dingy towing thing again and in looking at it, answered one question but left myself with a few more. I guess that the plate shown in the photo is substantial enough to allow an eye to be mounted on the transom side to tow a dingy, but this left me wondering (and I'm not very mechanical)

1) If the load being dealt with here is the steering pulling towards the left of the photo why is the plate not more substantial on the outside of the hull? Aesthetics?

2) Is the looseness of the two cables attached to it with the steering approximately centered normal?
3) The rod in the left center above the water heater has a lot of free play, is this normal? (and what is its purpose?)

4) The linear actuator arm has a locking split pin in the bottom and I assume a nylock nut or similar in the top (certainly no split pin) and this is a loose fit (perhaps desirable to prevent side loading the linear arm?)

For (3) and (4) I have attached a second slightly out of focus picture centered on the rudder post. I rarely get down here so I am not sure if all is OK or having had the rudder dropped to replace the cutlass bearing something was put back slightly awry, any comments?

Also am wondering if oiling the cable section visible in the channel shown in the pics is something to be done when doing the annual oiling of the chain section in the pedestal?

Finally here is another pic, what is the purpose of the three bolts behind the actuator? They connect to nothing and appear to do nothing, any ideas?
Attachments
IMG_1504.JPG
IMG_1504.JPG (80.28 KiB) Viewed 10311 times
IMG_1501.JPG
IMG_1501.JPG (87.29 KiB) Viewed 10311 times
IMG_1500.JPG
IMG_1500.JPG (108.74 KiB) Viewed 10311 times