locks on stern lockers

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

nybor

locks on stern lockers

Post by nybor »

Ok. I have tried and tried to lock/unlock the two lockers. (they are currently unlocked, thank goodness!) However, first, I have no idea which keys fit them (i inherited a bunch from the previous owner) and I think the tumblers are still stuck from lack of use. I did spray: WD40, Blaster, and 3-1 oil but without knowing which key fits them nothing has worked. I did leave a pipe wrench, chisel and cutting torch in plain view of both of them to remind them to start working or else....

any ideas? I couldn't find the replacement units online either.
gracias
dave
Triumph

Re: locks on stern lockers

Post by Triumph »

I think no one replied to you because no one has locks on their stern lockers? Maybe the previous owner installed these and they are of questionable marine quality?

Bill on TRIUMPH
Last edited by Triumph on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TBOT422

Re: locks on stern lockers

Post by TBOT422 »

Actually, we have the same problem (at least partially). We have locks on the 2 stern lockers in the cockpit (not the ones on the transom). I was able to free up one of them where we sometimes store the Honda 2000, but have had no luck with the other.
So we don't store anything of value in that locker.

My only suggestion is that since they are unlocked, you could remove the locksets and take them to a locksmith. He could probably free them up and/or make keys to fit.

Good Luck
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)