Pump light comes on periodically

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's air conditioning here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

gkyle

Pump light comes on periodically

Post by gkyle »

In running the heater this winter, I notice that after an initially running for about five minutes, the pump light goes on (with the pump shutting off), then goes off for a minute or two, then on ... After a while, this cycle stops and the heaters seems to run fine.

Has anyone experienced the same problem and what would cause it?

BTW, winter has been a real joy so far, here in NYC. I haven't been able to run the heater before in January.

Greg Kyle
Irie Life - #209
Greg Kyle
Irie Life #209
Capt. Bob

Pump Fail Light

Post by Capt. Bob »

Greg,

Your not alone. I have been experiancing the same syndrome and have been working with Westerbeke on it... They first sent me a new controller card rev. A3. After intalling the card I still experianced the same problem. They sent me a new coil temp sensor and a new controller card rev. A4. I have installed the coil temp sensor and controller card and the unit is working as it should. I worked with Joy Joyce at Westerbeke. (JJoyce@westerbeke.net). I have also asked them to look into making one of the two button function to provide a Heat Mode or Cool Mode. This would make this unit much more energy efficiant.
Thanks

Capt. Bob
Capt. Bob

Heat Pump Issue Pump fail light.

Post by Capt. Bob »

You need to contact Westerbeke.
You can send an e-mail to Joe Joyce <JJoyce>
Joes phone # is 508-823-7677.

I experienced this problem last year and Westerbeke sent me a new coil temp sensor and a new controller. I have not experience any problems this year and I have kept the cabin temp set at 65.

Give me a call at 817 456-2283 if you would like to discuss.

FYI Joe is not real good at returning e-mails or phone calls

another contact is Russ Hagan <RHagan>
I think Russ is Joes boss...

Thanks
Capt. Bob
Tranquility
hull 151.
Thanks

Capt. Bob
knotmeter

Pump light on

Post by knotmeter »

My unit has been cycling on and off this winter. But my unit never stops cycling. So it doesn't heat the boat.

I have been working with Joe Joyce also. I have the new circuit board and sensor and it does not make a difference.

So I watched the coil tubes on the unit while its working. With the cabin sensor and the coil sensor swaped. The coil sensor goes down to 14 F degrees and the coil shows frost from the top all the way down to where the sensor is located.

Whats happening is the unit pulls the heat out of the water and makes it go below freezing which makes the sensor shut down the unit because it thinks the water is going to freeze.

I told this to Joe Joyce and he had me relocate the coil sensor to the one oclock position on the coil, where the water is coming into the coil. The warmer water keeps the sensor from thinking it freezing.

The unit is working now. It gets two pump light cycles before working continuously.

I'm still working with Joe Joyce to get this figured out. But I think were on the right track.