Caulking around Bulkhead

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's head here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

BillBerner

Caulking around Bulkhead

Post by BillBerner »

I've noticed that the caulking had split in some areas between the shower said of the bulkhead and hull and overhead. Guessing it may be a result of the point loading from the jackstands flexing the hull. Don't recall seeing it last fall.
I've removed the old caulk which wasn't too tough leading me to believe that it is just a sealer not 4200 or 5200, but I'm not sure.
Don't want to use just use silicon sealer if it should be an adhesive, but don't want to do the opposite either.
Anyone care to chime in.
Thanks.
Bill Berner
#66, Stamford CT.
wolfe10

Re: Caulking around Bulkhead

Post by wolfe10 »

Bill,

I would sure call Warren Pandy on Monday and see if you can determine what was originally used and use more of that. It has held up well for most of us and would give you the same "look" and adhesion as Catalina designed.

For those who have not done much calking, mask both sides of the joint with the blue painter's tape. Caulk a 4' or so area. Smooth with your finger (wet finger for many caulks). Remove tape immediately. Then immediately LIGHTLY go over it with your finger to eliminate any sharp edge where caulk met tape. Move to next area. If you are really quick, you can do the whole thing in one application, but you want the caulk to remain completely uncured through all the steps so you can get a smooth application.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Bill, the caulk in my head was cracking the day I took delivery of my boat when it was brand new. It is definitely not adhesive in a structural sense. It could very well be from the jack stands plus the shrouds attach there as well.
I used the method Brett outlined to fix mine.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
BillBerner

Post by BillBerner »

Thanks to both of you

Bb
Bill Berner
#66, Stamford CT.
wcconway

Post by wcconway »

Bill, can you tell us what Warren recommended for the caulk? This job is on our to do list. Thanks!!
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida