New start battery works great, except every week,

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

tranquilcat42

New start battery works great, except every week,

Post by tranquilcat42 »

when I return to the boat, I find the battery charger switch/breaker (on the left hand side of the panel) has been tripped, causing the House Battery 1 to drain completely from running refrigeration alone without the charger support. I've had to toss out lots of $ in moldy and rancid food every weekend. Shore power remains intact, running the bilge. Nothing else is tripped. Neighbors have no power issues.

It only happens during the week when not aboard. It has not happened during the weekend when aboard.

I added a 3rd start battery as shown in this blog. Love it!

Tested the 2 4D house batteries, original to this 2004 model, and only 1 cell was marginal, so tied them together in parallel per the blog creating a single bank tied to the DC panel through the battery switch as Battery 1. Battery 1 is charged by a single wire/cable from the two positive terminals (which are connected with a jumper) to the battery charger. The new start battery is connected to the DC panel through the battery switch as Battery 2 and is charged by a separate wire/cable running from the positive terminal of the start battery to the battery charger. The separate charging cable to the new start battery is the same one that formerly was connected to the positive terminal of Battery 2 before the two 4D batteries were tied together in parallel.

Charles Industries no longer sells the version/model of the C-Charger 5000 series battery charger installed and I've been unable to locate a manual with diagrams and info pertaining to the specific model on Tranquil.

I can't figure out why the battery charger switch/breaker is tripping repeatedly. Any ideas? Other than to stop leaving perishable food on board? Would be crossing Lake Michigan today from Chicago to St Joe MI to put her away for the winter except arrived last night to a smelly boat with a almost fully discharged Battery 1.

Thanks

Teri Weber
Hull #187
Tranquil
Chicago
wolfe10

Re: New start battery works great, except every week,

Post by wolfe10 »

While not a frequent failure item, a breaker can fail. They are not expensive or difficult to replace. Might start there before investing big bucks in diagnostics or a new charger.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

PM me your email and I will send you a PDF of the manual. Not sure I can attach it to theses forums.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
tranquilcat42

Post by tranquilcat42 »

Thank you Brett and Ralph

Anyone have the part number for the 350 breakers? When I looked on Catalina direct they did not carry one that looks similar and of correct size.

Teri
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Teri,

Because they may have used more than one supplier over the years, look on the panel itself and see if there is a manufacturer's label. If not, open the panel and look on the breaker itself for a manufacturer and model number.

Sorry, was on ours this morning and could have looked, but back home now. Also, what they used on our hull #180 may be different than yours. Will be headed back over tomorrow to finish a project. Let me now if you want me to see what ours is.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
tranquilcat42

Post by tranquilcat42 »

Model # for C Charger on Hull #187 is 93-12305-E-B

I spoke with Charles Industries about the charger and he said:

the model is 9-10 years old, hence no manual. Catalina must have had them around for a while, but a very good charger. Is called "lead acid charger" and is the same as the 2000/5000 SP series except no switch on the back for the type of battery.

Cannot do gel battery with this charger

Can do AGM but not Lifeline-requirments too tight. Can do Optima

Thanks for the info on the breaker- I will head back to the boat and pull the part number from the breaker itself. Awful lot of variation from one hull number to the next

Our season is over - just trying to get her across the lake to winterize and store. Wishing you a great rest of your sailing year!

Teri
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Terri,

Went over to the boat this morning. Here is the information on our electrical panel:

Seward part # PB4383 April 24,2003. Seaward 562-699-7997 (have not checked to see if that number is good).

Breakers by Airpax (Mexico). Googling "Airpax breaker" takes you right to their website. The style is very common to many panels. Just have to make sure that the styling on the lettering matches that of your other breakers.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
AynB

Post by AynB »

I have a copy of the Charles charger manual - if'n ya need it, just shout and I will get it photocopied and sent.
Al
tranquilcat42

Post by tranquilcat42 »

Brett and Ayn

Thanks so much! I've been running every weekend with getting the boat across, lifted and winterized. I've got one more trip back and forth so this comes in very handy-perfect timing!!! I did not want to leave it all winter and have to start over with researching in the spring, so I really appreciate it.

Wishing you a good winter!

Teri