How does the C350 compare to the C34 performance

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

rjthompson

How does the C350 compare to the C34 performance

Post by rjthompson »

Hello Everyone,

I'm a C34 owner that is considering the purchase of a 350 and there seems to be a lot of information with respect to improvements/refinements over the 34 in the 350. I haven't heard much about the sailing performance of the 350 versus the 34. I am hoping there are a few of you who have made the move from a 34 to a 350 and I would really enjoy hearing some comparisons of the sailing characteristics; e.g. stiffness, speed, pointing, downwind performance, fin keel vs. wing, overall comfort, etc.

Bob T.
KenKrawford

Re: How does the C350 compare to the C34 performance

Post by KenKrawford »

Hi Bob,

Since no one has weighed in on your questions, I'll give you my opinion.
Background: Owned C34 MK I tall rig wing keel for 17 yrs. Presently have a C350 MK I wing keel.

I think the 350 is overall slightly slower than the C34. My feeling is that the 350 is only slightly longer at the water line but because of the wider beam has a much larger wetted surface area. I don't think there is much difference in pointing ability or downwind performance. I also think that the 350 is a bit stiffer than the 34. I much prefer the 350 in terms of comfort.
You might want to pose this same question on the C34 message board and see what sort of comments you get. I'll bet they are more slanted in favor of the C34. :D

Here's a chart that shows specs. for the 34 and 350 side by side - http://www.constantlychanging.com/catalina34/
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
rjthompson

Post by rjthompson »

Hi Ken,
Thanks a bunch for your your comments and the link with spec comparisons was great. My first mate will enjoy hearing about the comfort level as she likes to sail flat and generally dislikes any notion of racing. As long as the 350 isn't much noticably slower with the extra beam and displacement I could live with that. Our 34 is an anomaly in the harbour which has a preponderance of C&Cs. Their owners are hard to read, but many have 'hinted' they like the cavern belowdecks on our boat when their race day is over. We also do a lot of extended cruising and the tankage capacity on the 350 would give that extra day or two before we have to get a pumpout and refill the fresh water tanks.
Did your 350 come with in-mast furling? If so how do you like it? Some friends of ours needed a service call from the charter company in the BVI to fix a jam on their Beneteau, so every time I see one I wonder if they are finnicky or just require close attention when furling.
I look forward to hearing from anybody who has an opinion.

Thanks again Ken,

Bob
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Bob,

Probably the biggest regret I have after purchasing my 350 is that I did not get in mast furling. In my situation sailing on a lake, all we do is day sails. It sure would be nice to just unfurl the main and go. I think any type of mechanical furling system (main or headsail) has the potential to jamb but friends with furling mains on their 350's have had very few problems. If you are primarily cruising I'm not sure a furling main is a "must have".

Good luck.

Ken
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
rjthompson

Post by rjthompson »

Ken,
I think I'm sold on the merits of a furling main. We go through days on the lake where it wears you out reefing and then shaking it out and then reefing again. On days like that we tend to sail on genoa alone. I much prefer the main up and the ability to furl it would be a luxury. Sounds like the new furling systems are more reliable. Thanks for all the info Ken, I'll continue to monitor the site to get to know the 350 better. It' too new for things to be wearing out and breaking.
Cheers,
Bob
Golden Handcuffs

Post by Golden Handcuffs »

I wouldn't say that the 350 is only slightly longer at the waterline--it's over 1.5'. The 350 also has larger SA and SA/D. Interestingly, it looks like the WK 34 is under-ballasted compared to the WK350. I've been out up to 30 kts, and the boat stays doesn't get squirrelly as long as you reef. Definitely like my in-mast, though mine's the Charleston spars, not the newer Selden (which I've heard is necessarily better, or worse, just different).