Recommendations for a diesel genset...

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

PHerzfeld

Recommendations for a diesel genset...

Post by PHerzfeld »

Anyone have any recommendations for a diesel genset that uses the diesel from the 350 tankage instead of its own (separate) tank? I was hoping to avoid filling two separate tanks. Also need it to be as quiet as possible... Looking for around 1500-2000 watts to either charge batteries or run the tv, microwave, or water heater (not all at same time).
Phil
Paramethia
Hull #55
wcconway

Re: Recommendations for a diesel genset...

Post by wcconway »

We have a Fisher-Panda 4KV generator located in the aft port locker. She was installed by our dealer when we purchased the boat. She is quiet (as quiet as a generator can be), easy to start and can run just about everything at the same time. It does run off our diesel tank. We are spoiled now and will never own another boat without a generator! Be aware the weight will lower your aft transom waterline and may require a change to the waterline for anti-fouling paint.
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida
Ray Edwards

Re: Recommendations for a diesel genset...

Post by Ray Edwards »

For those of you that already have a Panda or are thinking of installing one, this was a great reccommendation from a crack Panda mechanic found in Annapolis that I was fortunate enough to have work on mine.
If you have to replace a bad water pump impeller, the manual shows that you just take the back of the pump, pull out the old and replace with new ------ doesn't work that easy !!!!!! because of tight working quarters this can't be done, you have to remove the pump then work on the impeller, problem is again with tight working conditons with removing the two nuts from studs that hold pump in place. top one come off fairly easy with an open end wrench, problem is bottom one needing a socket wrench with a flexable attachment and even then not an easy project.
Tip from mechanic (he said he even told Panda of this) is to drill a hole in side of the "suitcase", I drilled a two inch one, so you can then use your socket wrench with a straight extension to the nut (use a piece of tape on socket to secure to extension, if it comes off you could lose it in bottom pan of suitcase).
I have replaced impeller twice now, first the hard way then with the easy access to bottom nut after drilling hole the easy way and
---- Life is good -----
Ray Edwards C350 (293)
"Maria"