Amount of Insulation

One of everybodies' favorite topics. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's refrigerator here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

yodagwb

Amount of Insulation

Post by yodagwb »

Has anyone cut through or drilled into the refer liner to see if in fact there is insulaton and how much, especially in the earlier hulls. I get sweating on the out side, adjacent to the stove, at times which just doesn't seem right if there was some amount of foam between the inside and outside.
KenKrawford

Re: Amount of Insulation

Post by KenKrawford »

When I did my refrigeration upgrade (see post titled (Mark I refrigeration insulation upgrade), I drilled holes about every 2 inches on all surfaces of the freezer and refrigerator. I then injected expanding foam insulation into each hole. I would estimate that at least 95% of the holes would immediately overflow indicating there was insulation present. Why not drill a couple of test holes in the area where condensation is occurring and inject some foam. You would have to remove the evaporator to access that area but you would know for sure if there was a void.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

When i was speaking with Gerry Douglas at Catalina about this, he indicated that the inside mold or liner for the ice box was incerted into the boat. This liner sometimes could get shifted for or after - not necessarily ending up dead center. They try to center it, but I think he indicated that it could get shifted. This means that you may end up with more space and insulation on one end, and less on the other.
I agree, drill a small test hole and insert a probe to see how much insulation is in there. My hull 208 had insualtion in every place I drilled. I think the sweating you have may be an indication that you do not have insualtion in the voids.
davidjohnson708

Post by davidjohnson708 »

Good evening,
As many of us have found, the only way to solve this problem is to add panels of insulation to the interior of the refrigerator. Even though this is not real easy since you have to work through small openings, you actually will spend less time than all the other fixes you will try.

David
Carolina Mind, #377