ants on board

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Hans Grasman

ants on board

Post by Hans Grasman »

Just returned from a short cruise and apparently picked up little ants. Any advice on treating the boat to get rid of the ants?
Thanks
Triumph

Re: ants on board

Post by Triumph »

These ants are found in Canada, and it's really odd that you have them on your boat in Florida. Somehow, they must have been transported from Canada onto your boat. How could that have happened? They usually lay dormant for a season and then spring to life and multiply. They are nearly impossible to get rid of.

If you are talking about the microscopic little black buggers, I suggest you go to the hardware store and ask for the solution that comes in a very small bottle, called Protexall "ant-kil". You put a few drops of the solution on a small pc of wax paper, and they come eat it, and die.

Just kidding about the Canada connection. I know you did that boat swap with Canadians and I thought I'd kid you about it a little.
Hans Grasman

Re: ants on board

Post by Hans Grasman »

Thanks Bill ! That was very funny. The Canadians are coming again this season and we are going back to Kingston next summer.
Glad to have a rainy day in SW Florida today.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
And also thanks for the headsail roller furling advice.
That was one fix that was affordable and immediate good results.