Winterizing Hot Water Heater

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

I'm able to keep my boat in the water and use it year round but sometimes the temperatures fall below freezing.

Has anyone figured out a way to keep the hot water heater operational yet protect it and the hoses from freezing?
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
LONGHAWK

winter-keeping the hot water functional and not freezing

Post by LONGHAWK »

I live in Texas, on Galveston Bay. The water in the bay does not freez, so our conditions are not severe. I use one of the Jack's air dryer devices (essentially an intrinsically safe hot plate). I lay it in the stbd. sugar scoop stern area and leave it plugged in to the 110 v system via an extension cord. It seems to keep all cozy back there.
Sam
LONGHAWK # 173
gkyle

Post by gkyle »

I live in the Northeast (NYC) and have not winterized my hot water as I work on - and 'stayaboard' - my boat. What I did last winter (and this) is put an engine heater in the storage area on the starboard aft side (on the shelf above the water heater). As the heater is non-flammable and is designed to kick on when it gets too cold, that seemed to work well last January and I hope this Jan as well.
Greg Kyle
Irie Life #209
R.B.

Actually winterizing

Post by R.B. »

Our boat was just pulled out of the water this weekend, and I need to winterize. I have drained all of the tanks, and tried to run the pink antifreeze through the system but after 6 gallons I am still not getting a solid pink flow through the hot water system. The cold side is fine. I did not bypass the hotwater tank as others have done in my marina. My question is: How do I bypass the tank easily. Do I crawl in the aft locker and disconnect the hot and cold hoses from the hot water tank or is there an easier location where I can do this ie. the manifolds in the bilge.

Also how is the hotwater tank loop that goes to the heatexchanger at the engine drained?

Thanks in advance.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
jdamann

Hot Water By Pass

Post by jdamann »

I made up a bypass hose that I use at the manifold. Diconnect the cold water feed for the hotwater heater and the hot water return that feeds the hot water manifold. Use the bypass hose to connect directly between the manifolds. I also open the hotwater tank drain and presure relief valve so the tank and the lines all drain free.

As for the engine loop....no need to worry about this...it is the closed side of the system and has engine anti freeze in the line already.

Hope this helps
Happy Sailing

John

"Just Add Wind" 347