Engine

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Air Mobility

Engine

Post by Air Mobility »

I was investigating an anti freeze leak last week when I noticed that the engine alarm was sounding. I shut down the engine and checked the coolant temp and the oil level. Both were ok. Upon further investigation, I found the oil pressure switch had a broken fitting on the back and one wire could not be connected to the back of the switch. The marina store had a switch in stock. Has anyone else had this problem? Were you able to remove the old switch without the need for special assistance? It's in a tight spot.

George
s/v Air Mobility
Georgetown, Md
djones

Re: Engine

Post by djones »

The best way to remove the engine's oil switch is with a special deep socket made for the purpose. NAPA has them. Be VERY carefull if you try it with channel-locks or similar.

The switch itself is a special, in that it has two blades for wires that short together when oil pressure is OK. Most of the replacement switches available locally only have one blade that shorts to ground, and that won't work for this engine's (M35B) alarm system.

Don Jones "Onatop" C350 #13
Oak Island/Southport, NC
Air Mobility

Re: Engine

Post by Air Mobility »

Don

Thanks for the tip I'm going to the boat this afternoon and was going to tackle the job with channel locks or remove the entire bracket that holds the swithch if I was forced to work in that direction. I'll bring a set of deep sockets with me.
Thanks for the response.

George Fisher
Air Mobility
hull #158