replacing/rebedding Stantions

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

R.B.

replacing/rebedding Stantions

Post by R.B. »

I was checking on my boat which is stored for the winter this past weekend, and noticed that my port side, middle stantion was bent inward a little. I investigated and noticed that the weld had completely broken where the stantion meets the base. I figure the strong winter winds must have pushed enough on the plastic tarp to eventually break the weld.

Questions:
1) How is the station fastened and then removed from the deck. There are 2 philips head screws on the inboard side of the base. Are there any fasteners from underneath the deck?

2) Can the lifelines be unscrewed from the turnbuckles and the pulled through the stantions? If not how do you feed the lifelines through the stantions?

Thanks,
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
Frank Heyniger

Re: replacing/rebedding Stantions

Post by Frank Heyniger »

Ralph,

I have had to replace my gate stanchions the last two years. There are two screws on the deck and a nut and washer underneath. If it is a middle stanchion than it will be easier. I purchased a set of short box wrenches for the project because there is very little room to work.

You can remove your lifelines at the gate stanchion or near the bow stanchion and pull them out of the stanchions.

Good luck, I saw your boat in Kinkardine marina when I was going and returning from the North channel last summer.

Frank
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

Thanks Frank,

I have the replacement on order already and will weld the old one up as a spare.

If you come up again, please stop by, it would be a pleasure to meet you.

Thanks,
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
Frank Heyniger

Post by Frank Heyniger »

Ralph,

Good thing you ordered your stanchion now because last year it took three and a half months to get it. Stay on top of Warren Pandy or you may not half it by July.

Take care and good luck.

Frank