How the heck do you remove the raw water pump?

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Golden Handcuffs

How the heck do you remove the raw water pump?

Post by Golden Handcuffs »

Has anyone replaced their raw water pump? I'm guessing that a lot of people have done it, due to rusting. I found that replacing the whole thing was cheaper than just replacing the rusted parts, because to replacing those parts needs to be done by a pro.

As best as I can tell, the bolts that hold the thing on to the engine block are 13/32", which is weird size (or are they metric?) But there's so little room to manuver in there, and the tabs that the bolts hold the pump on with are not symmetrical. I had a 13/32" socket with me, but I couldn't get the rachets with the socket on there with the limited clearance. Actually, it looks like you need an open wrench to do the port side bolt, as it's too close to the pump to get a socket around it. Is there some sort of trick to this?
lyle

Re: How the heck do you remove the raw water pump?

Post by lyle »

I have not had to replace it yet (600 hours) but I did remove it when I changed the impeller. It is definately a metric size (as are most of the the bolt sizes on the engine itself) and you do have to use an open ended wrench to access the one bolt holding the water pump. Other than that I don't know of any special tricks but it isn't difficult.
Lyle
"Serenity"