Has anyone installed an AC Generator on the C350

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Nelson

Has anyone installed an AC Generator on the C350

Post by Nelson »

If you have installed a Genset, which one, KW size, and where did you install it? Can you run Air Cond. and charge batteries? Are you pleased with your selection and installation? What would you recommend? How much noise at anchor, can you overpower it with radio?
Mike Aston

Location of AC generator

Post by Mike Aston »

The platform for the generator is already installed below the port cockpit locker. Unscrew and remove the shelf and you will see it. There is even an empty conduit awaiting your cable.
Mike Aston
WIndhover Hull#120
hlechler

Gen Set

Post by hlechler »

I am planning to buy a diesel gen set. If anyone has answers to some or all of may questions please reply.

What make and model gen set did you install? What is the primary use for the electricity you generate? What would you do different the second time around? Is the noise from the gen set an issue? How many additional holes did you have to cut through the hull? Does the stern of the boat sit deeper in the water because of the additional weight?

Thanks,
Horst
:lol:
Last Boat

Genset sizing

Post by Last Boat »

I have received a response from Cruisair as to the minimum electrical requirement to run the 16,000 BTU A/C-Reverse Heat unit. "Normal running requires 15 amps or 1800 watts but to start the unit is a 45 amps or 5175 watts requirement. This start up current is for only 300-500 milli-seconds." With this information, it looks like a 5.5 KW is the minimum Genset I could use. I was hopeing I could use a 3.5 or 4.2 at most. Do we have anyone that has installed a Genset? What size did you pick and how is it working?
Nelson Gainey
Last Boat
C50 #345
Triumph

gen set

Post by Triumph »

I have heard that if you stage the start up, you can get by with as little as 2000 watts. I meet a guy with a Honda 2000, with a manual compressor and a manual fan/pump switch. He does it maulally, but i'll be there is a way to set the unit up for this .. Let me know if you find the answer. I use a Honda 2000 portable generator myself, but have never run the AC off of it.

Good luck.
georgevest

Genset

Post by georgevest »

The 350 I recently bought from the original owner has a factory installed Panda 4.5KW genset.

I haven't measured the noise level but would judge it to be somewhere between quiet and moderate. With the air conditioner running and the boat closed up, the noise is hardly noticeable above the noise from the A/C blower. Nevertheless I do not run the genset extensively at anchor when other boats are nearby.

The Panda will handle the A/C plus the hot water heater plus the microwave plus the battery charger all simultaneously. It is very convenient at times; for example when getting up in the morning at anchor, the genset can warm or cool the boat while the electric toaster and coffee maker are starting breakfast.

I have had over the years three boats with generators and several others without. I cruised extensively in a Sabre 42 with no generator but with a good inverter, battery bank and upgraded alternator. It ran everything just fine without the additional expense and maintenance of a genset.

Bottom Line: I would not add a generator to the 350 unless air conditioning is an imperative.

George Vest
Chanticleer

generator

Post by Chanticleer »

When I bought Chanticleer, she had the factory AC/Heat installed, but no gen-set. With my cruising area being the gulf coast and the Tennessee River, I knew there would be times away from the dock where air would be nice. Turner Marine recommended the Fischer Panda 4200. I was concerned that it would be underpowered, but there's not a lot of options due to weight / space, etc... I've only used the genny a couple of times, but as George mentioned, the sound level isn't bad, and it handles the power draw just fine.
http://www.fischerpanda.com/html/4200gen.html

Alex Pingree
IvanaU

Re: Has anyone installed an AC Generator on the C350

Post by IvanaU »

I have a 2002 350 hull # 7. Tidewater Marine installed a 3K Kubota gen set for me in 2005. This gen set will run everything including the AC, hot water and charger. I togle AC power for the microwave and other electrical needs. I also have a 2000 alternator installed in 2006. This gen set burns about one half gallon an hour depending on load. The only problem I have had with the Kubota is the amount of power it needs to start, way more than the boat'e engine. I hope I have corrected this problem when I installed a new start battery with a much higher cranking power than the old battery. I will know after our first cruise this season.