Where are the zincs? Help...before my boat dissolves!

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Golden Handcuffs

Where are the zincs? Help...before my boat dissolves!

Post by Golden Handcuffs »

I just bought the boat formerly known as "Longhawk", hull #173. It's been sitting at the dock at a broker for a few months, so I'm sure it needs new zincs in a hurry, as the water in Galveston bay is usually about 90 degrees in the summer.

1. What zincs are on the boat? I gather there's one on the engine (somewhere?) and one of the driveshaft. Are there others?

2. Where do I get replacement zincs? Are there model numbers or something?

3. I bought one of those zinc-fish things. What should I hook it to? I know you can only hook it to the rigging if it's grounded....is there a way to determine if it's grounded? If not, where else could I hook it?

I'm obviously totally ignorant here...any help would be really appreciated.
R.B.

Re: Where are the zincs? Help...before my boat dissolves!

Post by R.B. »

Congrats on the new boat.

There are 2 zincs for you to replace. 1 is on the prop, the other is in the heat exchanger, back of the engine, port side on the bottom. The pencil zinc in the heat exchanger I ordered from the westerbeke dealer, the other you should be able to pick up at a marine store. Sorry I don't remember the number, it will be in your manual.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
Hans Grasman

Re: Where are the zincs? Help...before my boat dissolves!

Post by Hans Grasman »

The pencil engine zinc is available at West Marine. It is a little difficult to replace.
Approach it from the top of the engine compartment in the aft berth. Reach with your hand under the heat exchanger and you feel the bolt which you need to remove, the head of the bolt is the head of the pencil zinc.
My boat #165 came with a Zinc safer in the electrical panel.
The pencil zinc lasts an entire season(Nov-April) and so does the cone zinc on the prop.
The boat is in salt water in Charlotte Harbor Fl.