PHRF rating

Any notices about upgrades or new features may be found here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

two_steppin

PHRF rating

Post by two_steppin »

My yacht club has given me a PHRF rating of 147. I think that this is way to low! I believe that only the long keel boats have a rating, and that it would be between 137 and 165 or close to that. Are any other fin keel 350s racing, and if so what is your rating? Although I can physically beat a couple of boats across the finish line, I lose every race on time. :cry:
Tim April IV

Re: PHRF rating

Post by Tim April IV »

Did your "club" measurer actually utilize data and measurements about your boat and measurements from your sails to assign the 147 rating?

I've got hung with a 144 (non-flying sails) right after the boat came out - not from a real measurer or based on data, just a "guess-timate" - and I only use it once a year against other Catalina's (36's, 34's and the occasional 380). 144 is awful sporty in my opinion.

In fact, I took a run this year at getting it adjusted to be more in line with what other boats in the fleet are rated, in line with what US sailing has on the following two websites.

This one:

http://www.ussailing.org/phrf/Critical%20Dimensions.pdf has all of the boat dimensions for the C350, and most importantly, the same stuff for the other boats in the fleet that have "legitimate" (i.e. assigned based on measurements by PHRF Handicappers) ratings.

This one:

http://www.ussailing.org/phrf/Tool_%20H ... Report.pdf has a database of ratings that US Sailing has found around the country for the various boats. High, Low and average. I'm not too worried about the actual numbers found in the table (it shows the C350 at 147 !) , I'm interested in what it shows for the C-36, C-34, C-380, C-30 - COMPARED TO WHAT THOSE BOATS IN OUR FLEET are rated at. Their ratings are quite a bit higher than the average number shown in the file.

So, I'm trying to make my case for something a bit more competitive. All that being said, I placed third in last year's regatta, even with my handicap being only 1 point higher different from a C-380.

For reference, the handicaps for the C-36's in our fleet are 191, the C34's are 189 or 191, the C320 carries a 186 and C-30's are around 225 or so. The C380 is 143. My C350 is 144.

Tell me that's right!
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle
two_steppin

Re: PHRF rating

Post by two_steppin »

Tim,
Can't say that your rating is right or wrong. I was unsuccessful in getting my rating changed and have decided not to race anymore.