Oil Pan

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Allsail

Oil Pan

Post by Allsail »

Has anyone dropped their oil pan. When i run my engine 8-10 hours straight i had some slight oil leakage around the seal between the oil pan and engine block. None at lower levels of operation prior, although i have not run it much since taking it down the ICW.
The M-35's do not have gaskets, but use a copper sealant. My engine still is under warranty. I have 232 hours on the engine.

Allsail
Triumph

oil leak

Post by Triumph »

I have run my engine 24 hours straight with no oil leaks. 400 hours, and reallly no leaks of oil uner the engine whatsoever.
johnny canuck

Post by johnny canuck »

I had the same problem with my M35B on my C34 MkII. Do not tolerate any oil leaks while you have a warranty. If the selling boat dealer is uncooperative, contact your local Universal dealer. This is a big job as the engine has to be raised for screw removal and the oil pan recaulked with the copper permatex. As well, keep an eye on the gasket for the raw water pump. FYI, you will have to cut about a 1/4" off the HX zinc. The OEM pencil zinc is too long and will break when screwed in to the Hx!
Richard Ad

Re: Oil Pan

Post by Richard Ad »

Hello Allsail: can you share what happened with your oil pan? I ran for 6 hours and another 6 hours the next day and found approx 5 ounces of oil in my engine well. Did you have to have work done to your engine to remediate the problem? I'd really like to hear what you did? Thanks. Did anyone else have this issue?
Allsail

Post by Allsail »

Richard,

I would make sure your raw water pump/gasket is not the culprit, first.
I did not suspect my RWP until a mech indicated that could have been the problem.
I had to replace 3 of the Sherwood pumps before i got one to hold up and i only have 300 hrs on my engine. Others have had issues with the Sherwood's prematurely leaking water , also.
I haven't heard much about them recently so maybe a bad run of them is over.

I have not had any further oil issues but have not had to run the engine as hard as when i found the small amount of oil. That said, i do not think it was the oil pan and was most likely the RWP.

Allen
Stu Jackson

Post by Stu Jackson »

You could replace the Sherwood with an Oberdorfer. The C36 folks just provided a great writeup about the replacement. See our C34 Tech wiki for the details: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5880.0.html