Dinette to double berth- Edge support?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

EvenKeel

Dinette to double berth- Edge support?

Post by EvenKeel »

I have the stuff for converting the dinette into a double berth, but have never used it. This weekend, I'm taking a large crew overnight to Annapolis for the Navy-Delaware football game (we're all brother's-in-law and Delaware alumni from back when Nixon was president).

It's clear that the inner edge of the table is supported on cleats along the edge of the settee. How about the outer edge? Won't the table break if an adult sits on the unsupported edge, especially if he's been tailgating too lustily?

EvenKeel II #288
Tim April IV

Some sort of bench is part of the package?

Post by Tim April IV »

I don't have that option, but from what I've seen in pictures and other postings, there's supposed to be some sort of bench that acts as a support toward the center of the boat, supporting the "loose" edge of the table.

Good Luck!
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle
william vanwagoner

Post by william vanwagoner »

I have the dinette conversion, which works, but is not ideal. You should have should have two short table legs (the ones used with the cocktail table) which are also used for the berth. The short legs along with the cleats on the port side are sufficient to provide the support needed. The fun begins at the head of the bed, where the folding bench is placed between the table and the bulkhead. It all tends to move around, where I have used a fitted sheet to surround all of the cushions to try to keep them together.

Good luck,
R.B.

It works

Post by R.B. »

Yes The table will support someone sitting there. but I usually point this out to the potential user and ask them to sit closer to the middle. In order to keep the cushions from sliding around I lay down a rubber non slip mat between the table and the cushion. This seems to keep the main sleeping area in place. As mention the folding bench goes between the table and the head wall.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
pieterv

Re: Dinette to double berth- Edge support?

Post by pieterv »

I purchased a catalina 350 # 36 but there are no short legs on board to make a dubbel bed in the salon, cushions and bench are in the boat.
The salon bed does not look very confortable to me. Has anyone slept on this at all?
Does any one has a contact number to order the short legs from Catalina?

Thanks
Pieter
RCattell

Re: Dinette to double berth- Edge support?

Post by RCattell »

Pieter,

Call Warren Pandy at Catalina in Largo, FL, 727-544-6681.
Be patient as he is very busy. His cohort Gary unfortunately passed away a couple of months ago.

I have set up the bed but not used it.
Richard Cattell
S/V Rachael Lynn
Catalina 350 Mk II