C350 MKII

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Whitehook

C350 MKII

Post by Whitehook »

A quick blog for the list. The rumors are true! The C350 MKII is here. It is Saturday evening at Mystic Seaport and I am at the Catalina East Coast Rendezvous. The C350 MkII is here and will be announced to the press at Newport Boat Show. New mast (same sail area), new deck and window design but the same hull. The cabin top has been lowered and the overall look is a bit sleeker. Shorter stern sugerscoop with a folding swim ladder similar to the one on the 309. Minor interior mods such as a shelf over the sink and a Euro-looking plexi splash guard behind the sink.

Saw the Beekmans and the Helmstreets from the Association earlier and hope to meet a few other 350 owners later tonight. Weather was pouring rain last night but a perfect New England day today and forecast to be the same for tomorrow. A nice gathering for the 25th rendezvous.
Tim April IV

C350 MkII Announcement

Post by Tim April IV »

Received the following announcement from Catalina:

After five successful years of continuous production, totaling over 450 hulls, Catalina is pleased to introduce the Catalina 350 MKII.

The 350 MKII follows in the tradition of the 320, 34, 36, 400, and 42 MKII models, and maintains the one-design integrity of the class: while incorporating updated fresh styling and features. Following are highlights of the 350 MKII for your reference.

A redesigned deck for improved function, ergonomics and appearance with these features:

Selden mast, boom and vang
Lower, sleek cabin top
Larger window area for more light and visibility
Updated pedestal steering system with LED cockpit light
More comfortable stern rail seats
New style transom (Without a joint at the waterline)
Garhauer mainsheet traveler completely controlled from the port side
Stern ladder which is deployable from the water (for safety) and improved stern access from the dock
Updated and redesigned interior features include:

Solid - surface counter tops in galley
Acrylic and stainless splash guard at the galley counter
Improved refrigeration insulation
Solid ash batten lining the hull in place of plywood veneer panels
A suspended "cloud style" plate or glass rack over the galley with adjustable acrylic pegs, and a adjustable light over the sink
Main cabin table is now mounted on a adjustable gas spring high-low base
The moveable bench seat is redesigned for easier use and storage
New styling in main cabin upholstery
Engine anti-siphon value is relocated to the cockpit locker for easier access
Fresh water plumbing system is redesigned for shorter routing: easier maintenance and rapid hot water delivered to faucets
Deck liner is redesigned for easier routing of AC and heat for improved efficiency
Redesigned cabinets and lockers for a fresh contemporary look
Navigation area redesigned to allow more space for electronics and equipment
All systems have been reviewed and updated for improved efficiency and maintenance
See the new Catalina 350 MKII at the Newport Show or visit a Catalina dealer near you. To find the dealer that represents the Catalina 350 near you click the link below.

Lots of talk on the discussion lists about the futures of both the C34 and the C36 production - apparently there are big doin's relative to the California production plant and moving various models to Florida. Lots of rumors.
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle
jnnielsen
Site Admin

Hmmmmm?

Post by jnnielsen »

Improved refrigeration insulation ? Why on earth would they need to do that?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Jerry
RCattell

Re: C350 MKII

Post by RCattell »

Yes, we got the first one. Hull # 451 and the fridge does work better. Still get some condensation on the doors, thinking about getting insulation blanket type things to go on top, and they still don't seal the gap on the ceiling of the fridge. Have to still do that as well. Catalina has removed handholds on the Mk II, had them reinstall as part of my purchase deal. We love the boat though, did a two week cruise in Oct./Nov. last year.
Richard Cattell
S/V Rachael Lynn
Catalina 350 Mk II
djones

Post by djones »

Richard, Since you have a new Mk-II, perhaps you could answer a couple of questions please. I'm making good progress on my repair project '03 350. I had spoken once to Warren Pandy at Catalina, and he mentioned a couple of changes for the new boats. I'm thinking these changes might work for me.

First, Warren mentioned that the engine anti-siphon loops have been moved up into the starboard cockpit locker.

Second, he advised that they are handling the PSS shaft seal cooling line different now. No longer a "T" off the engine cooling line, but instead just vented to a new thru-hull above the existing PSS height, so no burping is needed.

Can you confirm these updates and perhaps email a photo of these changes to me? (or post here).

I have lucky hull #13, and have to make the anti-siphon upgrade, and considering the PSS upgrade, although I may just burp that one occasionally.

Thanks for your help!
-Don Jones
Oak Island / Southport, NC
djones@modbroadcast.com
RCattell

Post by RCattell »

Don,

Yes I can confirm both of these changes. You will have to give me a little time to get you the pictures. I know Warren very well, I work down the street from the factory. He can get you the necessary parts to effect these changes. The anti-siphon is just higher above the water line and in the starboard lazzerete. (On the forward wall) So you will just need longer hoses for this. The PSS seal has it's own thru hull that is smaller than the regular ones, and has a small hose going to the PSS. It is not above, I don't think, but next to the PSS. I don't know if the thru hull is a scoop type or not. Call Warren again and ask about the parts required. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow, and email them.
Richard Cattell
S/V Rachael Lynn
Catalina 350 Mk II
dvolkman

Post by dvolkman »

Hello...I am selling my Cat 30 so I can purchase a 350. I would like to get a MkII, but in searching for a used boat, I see many ads that state they are MkII's but the pictures look like the original model. Is there a difinitive hull number that starts the MkII's?

Thanks,

Dave V.
City Island NY
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Dave, someone may correct me since I'm not absolutely sure but I believe Mk II's start at hull # 400.

Good luck with your search.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
vegasandre

Post by vegasandre »

the MKII will be at least a 2008 model year-some built in 2007 - but start in 2008 , I am sure its after hull number 450 something (not sure exact hull number)

MK11 is a great boat. Have had such little issues , the people at the dock joke about it , And it sails great , much better than you would think for a fattie.
Andre

-Calliope-Las Vegas -boat in San Diego
Catalina 350 MK11
hull #471