Hot Water supply to galley faucet

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Horst Lechler

Hot Water supply to galley faucet

Post by Horst Lechler »

This weekend the hot water hose on the galley faucet came off all by ifself. I found the pressed on fitting that failed under the sink.

Fortunately, I was on the boat when I heard the water pump cycle on and keep going. It was pumping hot water from the loose hose into the bilge.

I repaired the problem with two small hose clamps. The hose is fairly soft and seems to be an ordinary household item.

I am thinking of replacing the 6 or 8 inch hose that connects the red, hot water supply hose to the faucet with something more substantial.

Has anybody out there had this problem described above?

This is hull number 127.
Triumph

Water Supply at Galley Sink

Post by Triumph »

I had the same thing happen. The fittings to the hose that is between the red big hose, and the sink metal fitting, this is a smaller white colored connector hose, the fittings are just pressed on, and not very well at that. One of my fittings popped out, and the fresh water pump emptied the forward water tank.

A trip to Home Depot and I have the stuf to replace this small hose. what a pain doing it though.
rchasman

Water Supply at Galley Sink

Post by rchasman »

We had the same failure this weekend, 5/13/07. Installed a hose clamp.
This is the third problem that we have experienced with a fitting on the hot water system !
Two of the failures were at the cold water connection to the water heater. First was a blow off and the second was a slow leak.
Has anyone experienced failures at other locations ?
tranquilcat42

Re: Hot Water supply to galley faucet

Post by tranquilcat42 »

We noticed that the hot water line into the sink is not an identical feed as the cold water and assuming that the pressure for the hot and the cold are the same reasoned that it must be that the positioning of the hot line is why the hot appears to be problematic. The blue cold water line is held perfectly straight vertically by the wire tires and has a slight bow/bend to starboard in it toward the top near the barb. When the faucet is on, we noticed the blue line actually moves starboard and then back to resting position in center. The red line does not seem to move at all under usage.

When our hot/red waer line came off by itself we inserted a male and female galvanized metal extention consisting of a 1/2" steel pipe nipple and 1/2 inch coupling and cut the line short to fit. We were sure to use the teflon tape with two complete rotational wraps. This is because the first two times it leaked. Additionally we used two hose clamps, tightened at the top of the hose on the barb. It still leaked.

The trouble with the hose clamps is that the barb narrows at the tip and the tightest clamp has to be the top clamp. Working in such a small space was challenging but the largest problem seems to be fitting the hose back on the barb. We are still working to get it all the way to the end of the barb.

Never-the-less, the hot/red still works its way off and leaks. We are going to separate the red and blue lines with their own individual wire ties that hold them upright. Also will add addtional wire ties to hold them up higher, as close as possible to the barb.

Wish ours had been as simple as yours!
Palmettomoon350

Post by Palmettomoon350 »

Here we are in 2016 and the hot water side came undone yesterday. I need to find a midget or smaller size person to be able to repair this leak. What I can't figure out is how the "barb" got separated from the connector. It's almost as if it just backed out.It would seem like an easy fix but you have to be able to get to it to fix it! I check my connections frequently and I can't remember the "barb" retreating from the hose. Gremlins!!!!!
Oh well something else to fix.

Carl Beckmann Jr.
Palmetto Moon # 223
J.Sarge

Post by J.Sarge »

replaced the faucet for the galley sink this past weekend and of course the fitting for the hot side connection starts leaking at the crimped connection... has anyone had any luck repairing/replacing these fittings? I can't find anything on Catalina Direct on these...
IMG_3078.JPG
IMG_3078.JPG (135.46 KiB) Viewed 4622 times
Jason
s/v Serenity
Hull #418
Richmond, VA
johnthejetpilot

Post by johnthejetpilot »

Hey Jason. Did you ever find this connector? I have a similiar problem. After commissioning the boat from the winter storage and filling the water tanks, the conection under the galley sink for cold water feed from the stern tank broke. I'll try and attache photos, but if you found a place to order/obtain the, can you let me know? Basically I need exactly what you have the connector you have in picture (female on one end to connect to the inline shutoff and the other end ridged to slip into the hose from tank)... I'll try and attach pix...
Ave Maria
Hull 212
Kenosha, WI
sgoldman

Post by sgoldman »

Hi John,

From your neighbor to the south. I am trying to add a Tee in the water supply to support a compression fitting for a filtered water spigot.

Do you know what kind of thread is on the supply lines?
Steve Goldman
"Peen honin"
Catalina C350 Hull 485
Waukegan, IL.
sgoldman

Post by sgoldman »

I'm going to answer my own question. It is 1/2 in NPT.

Now I am trying to determine whether the hose is standard 1/2 Pex or some other size?
Attachments
Plumbing_1532.JPG
Plumbing_1532.JPG (83.08 KiB) Viewed 707 times
Plumbing_1533.JPG
Plumbing_1533.JPG (91.73 KiB) Viewed 707 times
Steve Goldman
"Peen honin"
Catalina C350 Hull 485
Waukegan, IL.