where to store the main sheet hauler line

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

nybor

where to store the main sheet hauler line

Post by nybor »

Hi. I have typically hung my main's line around the cleat on the mast. However, I noticed a rounded rectangle opening below the cleat that appears to be an opening for nothing? (sorry, maybe wasps). Is that to store the excess line after raising the sail? But now looking at Selden mast images, maybe there is supposed to be a cover? If so can someone point me to the correct size?

thanks as always dave
ps, My deck light bulb died and I noticed it is a halogen 20 W !!! bulb. That means it requires at least 1.7 amps to operate (losses in the wiring to it). Replacing it with an LED bulb. Once I install it and it works, will let the troops know which one I found. (unless someone already has... more that likely)
nybor

Re: where to store the main sheet hauler line

Post by nybor »

OOPS. I think I said it was a Selden mast, but it is a Charleston Spar.

dave
Captain Kirk

Re: where to store the main sheet hauler line

Post by Captain Kirk »

hi Dave

I'm not sure which line you're talking about. The main sheet is lead aft into the cockpit and the main halyard is also lead back to the cockpit.

Are you maybe referring to a reefing line?

More information along with your boat year and hull number in your signature line would also be helpful.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
nybor

Re: where to store the main sheet halyard line

Post by nybor »

Oh. oops, Ken please do NOT cancel my membership just because I am an idiot!!!!!

The main halyard is for my FURLING SAIL (sorry). It was coiled and hanging (dangling) on the mast cleat when I bought the boat. I will take a pic of the opening to show where it is. However, I THINK it is some type of access opening and I should plug it up with something.

thanks
dave

ps I shined a light into the opening and there was a litter of baby saltwater beavers in it. You know, the critters that gnaw on dock lines at night.
Maybe that is why the Osprey won't get off of my mast.