Windlass

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

jjadouglas

Windlass

Post by jjadouglas »

I have the manual, but, omitted as I can be, cannot divine whether this will take the anchor line as well as the chain , or what is needed so it can. I just purchased this 2003 model this summer but have never anchored her. I have +-30’ of chain spliced onto about a 100’ of rode.
Help!
KenKrawford

Re: Windlass

Post by KenKrawford »

MAXVW50012V_580x580.jpg
MAXVW50012V_580x580.jpg (45.32 KiB) Viewed 238 times
Hello and welcome to the forum.
If I'm understanding your question correctly, here's how I use the windlass on my boat:

I wrap the rode clockwise around the drum (red arrow) twice and step on the windlass foot switch to raise the anchor. It's important to keep some tension on the rode as it comes off the drum or you could get it trapped underneath the rode on the drum. I found that 3 wraps frequently results in that happening. Also be VERY careful that you don't get fingers trapped between the rode and drum. When all the rode is in the locker and the chain is visible you want to put it on the windlass chain wheel (blue arrow) and finish bringing the anchor aboard. There's a forum post about making the transition from rope to chain on the windlass - https://catalina350.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=1053 that might be helpful.
This is one of those activities that is much easier to understand if you're watching someone do it. Maybe someone in your marina would be willing to walk you through the procedure.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA