Leaking PYI shaft waterer inlet valve

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

nybor

Post by nybor »

Hi. Question. My poly insert that connects the black tubing from the inlet valve to the PSS is cracked and leaking. When I open the valve it stops. I think that is because the water pressure at the PSS inlet is higher than the closed valve's poly adapter. When I open the valve, the leaking stops. Well after I used silicon tape to help seal it. So, my idea is to cut the tube at the inlet valve, quickly plug it, then replace the poly adapter and re-install the tubing. Does this sound feasible? I have attached a thumbnail of the setup. thanks in advance and especially to Ken. Did you know that he started this Forum in 1925? Amazing.
Attachments
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg (65.79 KiB) Viewed 604 times
KenKrawford

Re: Leaking PYI shaft waterer inlet valve

Post by KenKrawford »

Dave, I'll take a shot at this since no one else has weighed in.
My PSS hose comes from a T in the engine raw water intake hose. I'm a bit surprised yours has a dedicated thru hull. It seems to me that if the thru hull is working properly there shouldn't be water exiting it if the valve is closed. Did you look carefully at the the body of the thru hull for a crack possibly from freezing during the winter?
Your plan may work for the time being but I think the thru hull should be opened up and inspected the next time you haul the boat.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

I don't see a major issue in replacing the broken adapter with the boat in the water.

Close its ball valve.
Have a "plug" for the hose handy.
Remove the hose from the adapter and plug.
Replace the adapter and reattach hose-- cut enough the end of the hose so the adapter attaches to a "virgin" part of the hose.

The only water pressure will be low (from being maybe 2 or so feet below water level).
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

You have a kind of unusual vent hose installation on your pss seal. The purpose of the fitting on the pss seal is to purge it of air. I'm not sure if yours will do that, or just trap air. Usually it's run (on the 350's) to the fresh water pump intake, so theoretically it will draw water through the pss and purge it. You can also run it up to a vent above the water line, though it will force some water out of the vent during a hard reverse. The original pss seals did not have this fitting on them and they occasionally could get air trapped in them causing a squeal when you least wanted to have to burp the things (usually in a rough seaway). You may want to contact PYI and show them a pic of your setup and ask their opinion. It might be just fine, but that's not the way I would have installed it.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
nybor

Post by nybor »

Wow, thanks to all who commented on my PSS setup. I really got scared when Olivia said it didn't look right and to contact PYI. I just did and the tech said that is another way of connecting the vent line. It is done for faster boats than sailboats. It seems that for sailboats either leaving the vent tube 2 feet above the water line or connected to water access are fine.

My install was for boats that are faster than sailboats! He said when traveling say 15 kts, the vent hose can suck in air since water cannot make it up to the PYI seal via the shaft.

Of course, when I motor sailing I make sure I keep my speed down to 14.9 kts, so no problem (i wish).

Thanks again! NYBOR

(maybe going to change her name since don't think I will ever see ROBYN again...... Thinking about "THIS SIDE UP" and have a little arrow pointing showing to turn the boat over. Or, "Pier Pressure" I HATE to try to dock when it is windy and a current.)(&$$&)*$&)#*&