Replacing spliced roller furling line

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

jtptdallas

Replacing spliced roller furling line

Post by jtptdallas »

We recently shipped our Catalina 350 RAISE ME UP from Lake Texoma to mid coastal Maine at Bucks Harbor Yacht club. The boat yard at Lake Texoma cut through the roller furling line before removing the mast for shipment. The roller furling line is spliced in a continuous loop, and while a boat can be decommissioned without cutting it by taking it out of the roller ratchet mechanism and removing the mast, leaving it on deck, once it’s separated I have no idea how I can possibly replace it functionally without finding someone who can splice that line on board when it’s through all the pulleys, fair leads and jam cleats!

We’ve tried a 70 foot line tied aft of the jam cleats, but once it runs the loop to the jam cleats again, if you can’t pull it the wrong direction on free to reset, you actually have to untie and rethread the line. Of course we can winch at the mast, but even then the vang must be released and the topping lift hauled up even to have room for a winch!!! No big deal unless you are 67 with 4 back surgeries and just a small 1st mate and smaller grandchildren on board.
Any ideas out there????