Anchor Locker Cleat Question

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

MikeC

Anchor Locker Cleat Question

Post by MikeC »

Does anyone know if the cleat in the anchor locker off the port side of the windlass was designed to tie-off a chain snubber after the anchor is set? It seems like that would be a good location, but the cleat would have to be secured to a structure in the boat that can handle the max. working load of the rode. (I currently only use the cleat for securing the anchor after it's been retrieved.)

Assuming the cleat can be used for this purpose, do you keep the chain that is attached to the snubber inside the anchor locker or pay it out over the roller?

I'm planning to replace my mostly rope anchor rode with mostly chain and haven't needed to use a snubber in the past.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Mike
C350 MKII, Hull #456
Connecticut

C350 MKII Anchor Locker Cleat.jpg
C350 MKII Anchor Locker Cleat.jpg (65.99 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Last edited by MikeC on Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElizabethG

Re: Anchor Locker Cleat Question

Post by ElizabethG »

Hi Mike,

My cleat is in a different location in my anchor locker. Mine is at the upper rear of the locker.

I take the chain off the windless and loosly wrap it a couple of time on the cleat.

I use a snubber that I attach to the two bow cleats unless the weather is bad. If the weather is bad, I attach the snubber to the mid-ship cleats.

I normally pay the snubber out over the roller. However, there are times when I don't. Kind of depends if I'm getting any slapping of the snubber on the hull.

Bill
C350, #193
Atlanta (Home) / Charleston, SC (Boat)
MarkElliott

Re: Anchor Locker Cleat Question

Post by MarkElliott »

On Mintaka 2003 #71, the locker cleat is on the bulkhead wall to the port of the capstan, seems larger than one in your pic. Same as bow cleats. I keep chain secured with a snubber to the center of the cleat, then chain wrapped on cleat. When deployed I use a bridle to both bow cleats with a sliding ring from which attached is a 6’ line with a snubber ending with a chain hook. I snag the chain outside the anchor roller with the bridle, the sliding ring should keep it centered, and then pay out some slack, securing with the snubber in the locker using a chain hook, finally wrapping the cleat with chain. The chain rode is attached to a 5/8 3 twist 200 ft line that is tied off to a pad eye in the anchor locker. Will try to add a photo.
Mark Elliott
Mintaka #71
Noank Ct.