Questions about shipping a 350 over the road

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

WillK

Questions about shipping a 350 over the road

Post by WillK »

Hey all,
I am beginning my search to find a 350. I want to get one with a tradition main and not the in mast furling one but they are few and far between. Warren at Catalina is helping me figure out the logistics and cost of conversion. I would like to compare that to the cost and complexity of finding the configuration I want out of my area and shipping the boat over land. I live on the Chesapeake so I have a pretty big area I can look and be able to sail the boat home. I figure I can expand my search area as far south a FL and as far north as the Great Lakes if I consider road transport. Does anyone have any experience with getting a boat ready for and arranging land transport for a boat as large as or bigger than the 350? Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.
Will K
Triumph

Re: Questions about shipping a 350 over the road

Post by Triumph »

I think you'll it's very expensive to ship overland, like $3.50 a mile. Then there's the cost of unstepping and stepping the mast, and marina haul out and back in charges. Instead, reach out to this community and ask for volunteers to help you sail the boat to where it has to go. If you're doing the Erie canal, I might be very interesting in doing that with you for instance. Vet the crew though so that you have the right talent. With s a couple of 350 owner's aboard you would have a great resource at your fingertips.

Bill on TRIUMPH, Tampa
WillK

Post by WillK »

Thanks Bill, I expect you are right on the cost being prohibitive but I also didn't want to just assume it was. Figure its worth a few phone calls to find out for sure. Great idea on recruiting a crew when the time comes, much better than hiring a Captain out of the blue.
cuthbert

Post by cuthbert »

I’m retiring later this year - 16 year owner - at some point over the years I’ve worked on every maintenance item on the boat - been from San Francisco to Baja California and back - would love to crew on a 350 on an east coast journey.

If you find a boat that needs moving by sea I would be interested.
WillK

Post by WillK »

The Baja Bash is on my list some day. I will keep you posted if a East Coast delivery develops. Thanks for the interest and support.