Oberdorfer repair instructions

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

elk

Oberdorfer repair instructions

Post by elk »

My M202 pump started weeping last year, so I removed it and am ready to repair it with the kit I purchased. I know I saw the video on YouTube, but now it's nowhere to be found. Does anyone have a saved link or maybe the video itself? Barring that, does anyone have written instructions?

Thanks,

Ed
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
cuthbert

Re: Oberdorfer repair instructions

Post by cuthbert »

I just searched for that video and between 2022 when I did the job and now it has gone and I searched around a bit and it didn’t appear to be anywhere else. The problem with that video was it showed the chap hammering the lip seals both out and in which, with installing the new seals is fraught with damage risk. I posted a description of the process a bit lower down the engine threads under oberdorfer pump but omitted the internal part as the video was so easy to understand, but now that it’s gone, the process was as I recall - Remove the pump, unscrew the faceplate, take off the circlip on the face of the impeller and then bring out the impeller, shaft and two washers through the front so you are left with a housing holding pressed in bushing and two lip seals. The next step you want the seals out while preserving that bushing and not scraping the inside of the housing. Getting the lip seals out I think I used a screwdriver or similar to pass down through the bushing and give access to the lip seal such that you can tap each out, or I pushed the bushing down onto the lip season to press them out my memory is unclear on the process I used but the old seals come out and are going in the trash so you don’t need too much finesse - only thing I would emphasise is you want to not damage the housing or the carbon bushing, but what to do is not a problem when you have the pump in your hand it was fairly obvious. But in assembling, ideally use an arbor press to put the new seals and bushing back in. In a pinch it should be possible to use a bench vice and the right size socket that would fit inside the casing and onto the lip seal. If you bought the Catalina direct kit as I did then you reuse the bushing and gasket onto the engine block, there is an assembly diagram on their website. The lip seals have a direction and that bit I don’t recall so look at which way round the old ones are (I just looked online it says the lip should face the fluid). You put the seals in the housing such that they are either side of the weep hole. The front one keeps water from getting back to the weep hole the back one stops the oil coming forwards. It’s invariably the water one that fails first hence the green patina. Then polish up the shaft and reassemble.
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

There's a pretty good writeup on Marinehowto.com including pictures about rebuilding a raw water pump. The article has a fairly detailed discussion of how to press fit the new bearings and seals on the shaft. The pump shown in the pictures is a Johnson but the Orberdorfer and Sherwood are pretty much the same.
https://marinehowto.com/rebuilding-a-raw-water-pump/
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
elk

Post by elk »

Does anyone remember how to get the water and oil seal out? Has anyone successfully replaced the carbon bushing? If so, what's the procedure?

I'm asking here because I have my pump apart and it's not obvious how the bushing and/or the seals come out, or go back in. I've looked everywhere and can't find good instructions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA