Diesel Exhaust Hose R&R

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

MikeC

Diesel Exhaust Hose R&R

Post by MikeC »

Does anyone have an idea how difficult it is to remove and replace the diesel exhaust hose on a 2008 Catalina 350? The hose between the muffler and hull penetration is dry-rotted and needs replacement. I'm trying to decide whether to take it on myself or let the marina handle it. They estimate 7 hours of work which seems high to me. I'm assuming their estimate also includes replacing the hose between the engine and muffler.
Thanks!
russp

Re: Diesel Exhaust Hose R&R

Post by russp »

Hi Mike,

I can't tell you how difficult, but I need to do this sometime soon so am very interested in what you find. I recently bandaged the hose between the muffler and discharge port to seal a small split and when I looked it the whole job thought "bloody hell!:

Russ
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
Dave DeSalvo

Post by Dave DeSalvo »

Did mine about a week ago. 2006 model. Took about 2.5 hours actual work, plus time to purchase new hose.

Real key is that you need a person who can fit in the starboard aft lazzarett . Remove the shelf which sits on top of the hot water heater. That Person climbs down in the lazzarett toward the rear of the hwh and removes hose clamps, applies heat at thru hull, liberal but carefully. Low setting on heat gun and removes hose from thru hull.

2nd person removes mattresses from stern cabin. Removes panel covering muffler. Remove clamps, applies heat as above and separates hose from muffler. I did this before person went into lazzarett so as to minimize time in there.

Both sides need to remove wire ties holding hose in position.

After extraction of hose I measured it. Mine was about 8 feet. Mine was 2 " id. Took a small piece to a large West Marine to check od and id. Breathtakingly, $288.

Same 2 people. Fed new hose from stern cabin aft with person, once again in lazzarett. Following same path as old hose. New hose was somewhat stiff, so some wrestling went on. Used a small amount of dish soap as lube on both sides at thru hull. Reapplied hose clamps and wire ties.

Put shelf back in, put mattresses back in. Done.
Monty

Post by Monty »

I did my 2007 last winter. Did it myself in a day after getting new hose and new clamps. The prior detailed description is pretty spot on. My fresh air hoses were also dry rotted so I replaced those also. Take the old out first and replace last as they get in the way of working the hose. Lay the new hose in the sun while removing the old. Make sure you duplicate the water break loop accurately as you want enough but not too much. I did the short engine piece first as it’s shorter and harder to bend to fit. I did heat that with a heat gun. If you can’t fit into the stern compartment you will need to get help as it’s a must to get to the they hull. You can buy the hose much cheaper than at west marine on line. Overall, I would do it again instead of having the yard do it….not bad.
Steve Montgomery
Salty, hull #418
Deltaville, VA
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Thanks for the replies! It doesn't sound like too bad of a job, other than working in a tight area. Good suggestions about using a heat gun and laying the new hose out in the sun.
Bob_A

Post by Bob_A »

A tough job indeed but you can do it. The responses are excellent. I high endorse the use of heat to remove the old hose, resist cutting. I use a hair dryer on high which takes a little longer. The loop is critical so get that right. I would only add to never reuse the hose clamps and buy the best stainless 316 available. Awab or Triton is now making a new clamp that has a very powerful screw , slot design. Use 2 on each end as this is exhaust and a regulation requirement for safety and insurance. Good luck, better stretch beforehand.
Bob & Cherie
Cheeky Monkey - Hull 363
Vancouver, BC