Total Loaded Boat Weight?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

BJH

Total Loaded Boat Weight?

Post by BJH »

In the "specs" for a Catalina 350 it states the "designed weight", "Light Displacement weight" and "Displacement" is between 12.xxx and 14,xxx pounds depending on wing keel or fin keel. That's for a dry, fresh out of the factory boat. What I can't seem to find is total heavily loaded weight, like full tanks, crew, supplies, etc. Of course, this wouldn't be an exact number, but it surely isn't any of the weights stated above. I did read someone mentioning they could come in at between 22,000 and 23,000 pounds somewhere, but it was the only reference I've come across and does seem a little heavy at almost double than dry weight. I think this might be the reason when people shop for props, they get those weirdly overpitched recommendations...yeah, I'm still shopping props. So how much does a fully heavy loaded Catalina 350 weigh? (Wing keel in particular).
BJH
Miss Sea-ducer, Hull 329
Pasadena MD
Richard Thabit

Re: Total Loaded Boat Weight?

Post by Richard Thabit »

From my past experience with my C350 wing keel, I added the following weight.
400 lbs for 2 men
273 lbs for 39 gal Diesel at 7 lbs per gal
622 lbs for 75 gal water at 8.3 lbs per gal
200 lbs for extra equipment like lines, bosun chair, poles
100 lbs for clothing/foul weather gear
100 lbs for food
100 lbs for drinks, wine, medical scotch
100 lbs for whisker pole
300 lbs for dingy ?
Total of 2,195 lbs
You may have more oi less but this should be a good start.
All the best,
Richard
yodagwb

Post by yodagwb »

Hello Rich I am most likely the person who posted the 22K weight. That came from the lift scale when the fully loaded boat was pulled. I have fought with a cavitation issue from day one, full empty didn't seem to matter much. I got rid of the sail prop and bought the big 3 blade prop they recommended. While it helped the cavitation it did not eliminate the cavitation, it also didn't do anything positive to the sailing speed dragging that huge prop around. After much research I was able to identify the root cause of the problem. The problem is a small motor and blade combo trying to push a heavy, beamy boat around. Add to that, the blades pass very close to the deadwood and thru the turbulent water behind the deadwood. It is at this point that the cavitation occurs. The blades are already maxed out from a load standpoint before hitting the turbulent water. Move the blades back and the cavitation goes away. Enter the Flexafold 15/10. Everything works now. Made the switch 4K miles ago before leaving the Chesapeake.
yodagwb

Post by yodagwb »

BTW, just had the boat pulled at a completely different marina in Florida, brand new lift. Still 22k lbs.
Pbrenner

Post by Pbrenner »

Got the boat lifted few weeks ago and she was 22,000 lbs confirmed by crane operator.
It is hull 452, a 350 mkii
We had full diesel tank and 2 of the water tanks empty
It was with a dinghy, it’s engine, and a Bimini.
Happily sailing on "fuzion III" (Hull 452) in Québec, Canada