Does the 350 Have A Prop Shaft Taper?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

BJH

Does the 350 Have A Prop Shaft Taper?

Post by BJH »

After reading tons of posts and discussions and ending up with more questions than I started with. I have concluded to go with a Flex-O-Fold collapsing propeller for our "New to us" 350. We had one on our recently sold 320 and loved it. I read that size/pitch varies on our boats due to transmission ratio and engine. So 15X9, 15X10 and 15X11 are all mentioned on what people have. Our 2005 is equipped with a M35B Universal driving a ZF 15MA with 1.88:1 Forward to 1.95:1 Reverse, this to the best I can figure equates to a 15X9 or 15X10 prop (I'd rather be a little over than under propped as we were with the 320), I figure I'd present my information to Flex-O-Fold and see what they recommend. I went on the Flex-O-Fold site to get a quote and they asked for "Shaft Standard" with ISO, SAE or IMP...I don't know what this means. Also, is the prop shaft on our boats tapered? If so, what's the value?

Being the boat will be staying in the water during winter every other year or even longer I figure the minimal maintenance fits us best.

Any input would be deeply appreciated.
BJH
Miss Sea-ducer, Hull 329
Pasadena MD
wolfe10

Re: Does the 350 Have A Prop Shaft Taper?

Post by wolfe10 »

Contact Warren Pandy at Catalina with your hull number.

He da man!

727 544-6681

But, with all the props Flex O Fold has sold for Catalina 350's, I am surprised they don't know.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
BJH

Post by BJH »

I'm sure they do, I was filling out an online form. I might just call and hear what they have to say.
BJH
Miss Sea-ducer, Hull 329
Pasadena MD
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

Taper should be to SAE J755 specifications.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
BJH

Post by BJH »

Thanks Scott and Linda and Brett! I made the inquiry with them and received a "we don't know response" you would figure by now they would have a data base on this with all the sales they've made. Here is their response which DIDN'T include an attachment. I did include the engine and transmission information, their response doesn't make sense.

"Thanks for your request and interest in Flexofold, however we do not have any available information about shaft model for the Catalina 350, så you will have to inform us of that information, as the Catalina 350 is supplied with different engines
Attached please find instruction how to measure/determine shaft model/dimension

Looking forward to hearing from you again".

BJH
BJH
Miss Sea-ducer, Hull 329
Pasadena MD
BJH

Post by BJH »

Olivia Mae wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:37 pm Taper should be to SAE J755 specifications.
THANKS! This helps a lot!!!
So based on this information a 1" shaft will have a taper of 1 in 16 which should complete their order page. Their site also states you can call them but I can't seem to find a phone number anywhere. It would be nice to talk to someone before rolling the dice on over $2,000! Now I only have to be concerned about pitch, I guess I'll see what they suggest.

BJH
Miss Sea-ducer #329
BJH
Miss Sea-ducer, Hull 329
Pasadena MD
khvandeventer

Re:Folding prop

Post by khvandeventer »

Thanks for all the info on folding props. With your input I have a quote from Flexofold based on repowering to a Yanmar 3YM30AE w/KM2P-1 Gear ratio of 2.62/3.06 with 1" tapered shaft. The quote specified a16x12 prop. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

With your specs, I don't really have an idea if what they spec'd is right, but I can only relate my experience with dealing with them earlier this year.

I was considering one of their props so asked for a quote. The transmission in our 2003 has a forward ratio of 1.88 reverse 1.95. They came back with a recommendation for a 15 x 10, 3 blade, which according to what I've read on this forum, should be about right but slightly over propped. I thought, fine, until I noticed in their email that they quoted it for a 1.95 forward gear ratio even though I put 1.88 on their spec sheet for the request. When I brought that to their attention, it required me to send a photo of the transmission nameplate to convince them I had a 1.88 forward ratio. They then got back to me with a recommendation for a 17 x 10 prop. Now by my estimation, this recommendation would be over-propped even more. I also wondered about the cavitation issues that Catalina had with their original prop choice. So at this time, I've lost faith in Fexofold's recommendation for my boat and didn't buy a prop from them. Our boat has a fixed 3 blade Sailor M that is 14 x 10, and it works well for the boat.

So my suggestion is to question their recommendation, and maybe give Warren at Catalina a call to see if he agrees with their suggestion.

I also got a quote on a Gori prop. It wasn't much more when they were running a boat show special in the fall, and they recommended a 15 x 9 prop for our boat. I was leaning toward the Gori until my wife reminded me she really didn't care if we made a half knot faster and I probably shouldn't either :-) , so it's officially on hold for now. The last 2 years included new sails and all new canvas with a surround, so we decided to take a season off from major trivial expenditures. Good luck on your search.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
khvandeventer

Post by khvandeventer »

John and Linda Thanks for your help on prop selection. I have received a quote from Gori and Flexofold. Gori has specified a 16.5x13 for $3220 and customer service.
Flexofold a 16x12 for $2217 can alter pitch by changing blades $?. Both are so close. I don't want to be under proped but can't see spending $1000 more. Ough!
khvandeventer

Post by khvandeventer »

Apology to Scott of Scott and Linda for wrong name in last post. Sincerely, Kurt
Capt. Nini

Post by Capt. Nini »

For those looking for a new feathering prop. I would highly recommend that you look into EWOL feathering props.
Info@ewoltech.it, http:// Ewoltech.com,
USA phone Number: 410-317-8104
Speak with Sergio Maroni

Tell Sergio that Randy Nini recommend the prop.

Merry Christmas
belladonna

Post by belladonna »

PYI's Maxprop Easy is the best, in my humble opinion, feathering prop (don't need a folding) out there for the M35B w/ Hurth xmission. It's easy to install and the pitch can be adjusted in the water, although mine with a 15/9 from the factory works great. Merry Christmas from the lower mid- Chesapeake Bay. Jim
Jim Lassiter
2005 Catalina 350 "BELLA DONNA" # 368
White Stone, VA (lower Chesapeake Bay)