Lewmar Ocean Hatch Trapezoidal

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

GEE56

Lewmar Ocean Hatch Trapezoidal

Post by GEE56 »

I own a C350 hull #276 commissioned in 2004. I wish to replace the trapezoidal shaped hatch on the foredeck over the forward cabin. I am unable to read the old part number so working off the Catalina Direct catalogue I believe the replacement part number is Z 2227. Can anyone assist me in a confirmation of my assumption.
Thanks
Greg
Cairns, Australia
cuthbert

Re: Lewmar Ocean Hatch Trapezoidal

Post by cuthbert »

Greg,

I'm not at my boat to be able to confirm that your assumption is correct and its Z 2227 (but the dimensions seem correct and I went spoke with someone at Catalina Direct a month back about which way to go on refurbishing and was at the same link) I could imagine nothing worse than having to ship something down under and having a slight error and getting the wrong part.

I have been toying with replacing the lens on mine (2003 almost 20 years of crazing) and hence was looking at Catalina Direct recently at this very thing so I'm curious why you are going for the whole hatch rather than the Z3006 lid assembly, or just replace the lens and save money (but a messy job it seems). Can you give details?
jasoncrew

Post by jasoncrew »

Have either of you gents looked at Hatch Masters for lens replacement / hatch servicing? hatchmasters.com
cuthbert

Post by cuthbert »

I did call hatchmasters- they are about 80% of the cost of the lid assembly with a 4-6 week lead time.

So I'm either going to buy a lens and try it myself or just buy the lid.

Since I have the two identical main cabin hatches heavily crazed also, I'm toying with initially tackling those two by buying a lid and a lens, then with one lid exchanged I can use the old one to try my hand at changing the lens.
GEE56

Post by GEE56 »

Cutbert I decided to go with the full hatch replacement due to a bad experience with replacing the seal/gasket on another hatch. Final result was tearing two seals due inexperience and cost of both seals including exorbitant freight charges, it would have been cheaper replacing the hatch.
At this stage I have ordered just the seal given the price of a new hatch USD1090 and freight USD750, I get no change out of AUD3000 which is just ridiculous.
Greg