Reverse Polarity

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

TBOT422

Reverse Polarity

Post by TBOT422 »

We need a couple of new 30A shore power cables. I was able to pick up a used one at an auction. It appears to be in good condition with no dark 'sparking' areas at either of the connections. When I connected it to shore power, the reverse polarity light came on and nothing worked. I disconnected it and ran a different cable through the same shore power outlet and all was fine, so the problem seems to be with the cable itself.

My question is - Is this something that can be repaired on the cable or is it desitned for the scrap heap, or sold to a recycler for the copper content? Can the issue be verified via continuity testing on the cable, or some other means?

Thanks
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
wolfe10

Re: Reverse Polarity

Post by wolfe10 »

Gary,

Pull out your ohm meter. And, with the ends unplugged, compare male prong to female slot location of hot/neutral/ground between the known good and the one that shows reverse polarity.

Also, check for direct contact/short/low ohm reading between prongs-- there should be none (no contact between hot, neutral and ground prongs).

It may be that you can salvage the bad cord by either connecting the wires correctly or replacing the errant end.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Gary are the plugs on both ends factory originals? If so and there is no sign of burning/arcing then the problem almost certainly has to be with the insulation on the 3 cable strands. Run the checks that Brett suggested and let us know what you find.
If the cord is a name brand (Marinco, Hubbel) it also might be worth giving the manufacturer a call and see what they say.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
D&M

Post by D&M »

This can sometimes be erroneous. I have seen it several times at pedestals in my marina (240v Australia). Sounds silly but plug it in to another shore pedestal, before blaming the cable.
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a