Adler Barbour CU-100 Replacement Coupler Fitting and Question

One of everybodies' favorite topics. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's refrigerator here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

CaptGeorge

Adler Barbour CU-100 Replacement Coupler Fitting and Question

Post by CaptGeorge »

A quick summary - I am wanting to replace my compressor CU-100 but can't get the bottom fitting off. It appears the threads are shot and it just spins until it binds and then makes no process. Also does anyone know if a 2003 (hull 124) would have the type of fittings that do not allow the freon to escape?

Below is a summary of an email I sent to A/B

I am attempting to install a new compressor CU-100 (model 9108777973) with my existing evaporator. When disconnecting the cooling copper lines from the compressor, the top went OK, but the bottom appears (Circled in blue) to be stripped and will not disconnect. It just spins. I have tried wrenches on both sides and can get it to spin until it reaches a point of binding. I do not have enough force to push through this. I can send pictures, but can I install new connectors on the evaporator lines so I do not have to replace it? If so, what is the part number and procedure? The evaporator is a custom shaped box and was working fine - I was only replacing the compressor because the cooling fan was loud. Thanks for your help and advice.

Has anyone replaced the fittings from the evaporator side? If so, part number and procedure. Are they compression fittings?

Thanks so much!

George
Hull Number 124
KenKrawford

Re: Adler Barbour CU-100 Replacement Coupler Fitting and Question

Post by KenKrawford »

George, I’ve never needed to do anything with the coolant lines so I can’t help you there. To me, it seems a bit extreme to replace the compressor unit because of a loud cooling fan (not to mention expen$ive). My condenser fan died recently and I replaced it with this - https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... 2H/1014406. You can barely hear it run.
I’ve had to call A/B tech support several times in the past and was always impressed with the help I received. Give them a call and I’ll bet they can help you work through your problems.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
CaptGeorge

Re: Adler Barbour CU-100 Replacement Coupler Fitting and Question

Post by CaptGeorge »

Thanks Ken - I'm in the loop contacting A/B too and also received a reply from Richard Kollman so I'm very appreciative of the help. My original idea was to just replace the fan (I have the part). It was supposed to be a quick remove the unit LOL - replace the fan - a back in business. I really don't want to replace the evaporator if I don't have to and can just replace the funked fitting.

I will update the resolution to help others as well. Thanks again!

George
Hull Number 124