Galley Cabinet Stops

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

tranquil

Galley Cabinet Stops

Post by tranquil »

2 of 3 galley cabinet doors + the cabinet door below the garbage can have the same issue - Catalina cut the hole/indent for the white plastic stop guard too far aft and/or deep and the cabinet locks do not catch well as a result. With a good wave they fall open. I've glued other plastic parts to the existing in the upper cabinets, but they fall off quickly and cannot withstand the pressure from the lock. Any ideas how to resolve?
Thanks
Tranquil
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
wolfe10

Re: Galley Cabinet Stops

Post by wolfe10 »

Teri,

Can you post a picture?
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

Next trip to the boat (its snowing here today) I will take photos and post.
Thanks
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

-Attached is a photo of 1 of the 2 cabinets above the stove & freezer that have had issues since I bought the boat - used. As you can see, I had shelves put in and store dish and beverage -ware. The cabinet below the trash can on the side of the sink has the same issue: The hole from the outside of the cabinet containing the push button/lock was drilled too low and/or too far from the top and/or side of the cabinet with the lock stay. As a result, the lock barely catches the lock stop and the doors fall open easily. I've glued additional"stop" material to the existing "white stops" but they break off when attempt to use, or after several uses. Cant drill a new hole closer to the edge of the cabinet door so that it catches the white stop appropriately - there is nothing to backfill the hole to stay in place and it would look terrible.

Any ideas? Other than bungee or straps criss a cross the dish-ware so it doesn't fall out when the cabinet door flies open? Or a big net over the cabinets to catch flying dish-ware? Or only sailing heeled to starboard? :)

Thanks
Teri
Attachments
C350 Galley cabin stop photo
C350 Galley cabin stop photo
cabin stop galley.jpg (40.88 KiB) Viewed 827 times
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

I don't recall how the "lock stop" is shaped/how it is attached to the cabinet frame.

OPTION #1: If the lock stop is an "angle" (L- shaped), you use a shim to space down the lock stop.

Maybe experiment using washers, then when you know the correct thickness, make a spacer shin out of aluminum so it supports the whole lock stop.

Hack saw and drill make fast work of aluminum. The aluminum is available in most box stores.

Perhaps something like this as the stock: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1- ... /204273949

OPTION #2: If lock stop is not an angle but a straight piece, just make a new one that is longer.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

Thanks Brett

Great idea! I had been using plastic to match the plastic that is already there and metal is a much better idea. The plastic stoppers are flat plastic. So pry out the original plastic, cut metal to fit the width, just make it deeper so the lock will catch. What adhesive do you think would work best?

Caulk? 4200? I have 5200 but everyone shares such dire warnings that it never comes off that I've never used it.

Thanks again

Teri
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

tranquil wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:43 am Thanks Brett

Caulk? 4200? I have 5200 but everyone shares such dire warnings that it never comes off that I've never used it.

Thanks again

Teri
I would probably use 4200 and two screws as well if you are confident that no future adjustment would ever be needed.

If you want to address future adjustments, have the new metal stop have two slotted areas so the stop could be lowered/raised on the two screws and NO ADHESIVE.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

Great ideas! Thanks much!
Teri
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187