Broken Cotter Pin?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

LI_Sound_Cat

Broken Cotter Pin?

Post by LI_Sound_Cat »

Just removed our winter cover and was inspecting the rigging connections and saw this what looks to be broken cotter pin on the forestay. Any thoughts as to how to replace? Is the pin meant to be all the way over on the side like that? Thanks
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (48.36 KiB) Viewed 736 times
Dan
“Glandore”
wolfe10

Re: Broken Cotter Pin?

Post by wolfe10 »

If I am seeing the issue correctly, the sides of the jaw look parallel and the pin looks short for the width of the jaw.

I would not squeeze the sides of the jaw closer to make that pin "fit".

And, particularly if sailing on a broad reach or run, the forestay can be loose enough that the jaw will move some side to side.

To replace the pin:

Use tape to mark the threads on the back stays. Back off them completely.
Use the spare halyard to the bow and tension to give you enough slack to remove and replace the pin.
Retension back stays.

If you are concerned about the jaw being to one side, you can put SS washers on either side to better center it, but absolutely leave some slack/play.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
LI_Sound_Cat

Post by LI_Sound_Cat »

Thanks Brett - if I’m using the right terminology should I be concerned about the cotter pin holding the clevis pin in? It looks sheered to me? I hadn’t considered that the clevis was too short - so to your point - I may need to replace that with a longer one.
Dan
“Glandore”
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Yes, I would go with the next longer pin so that the cotter pin is not taking heavy side loads. It is not designed to do that.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL