Sold my C34 now looking to buy a 350

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

stevewitt1

Sold my C34 now looking to buy a 350

Post by stevewitt1 »

Hello all!
I had my C34 Hull 854 for 10 years just parting ways last October. The search is on for a 350 to take her place.

First: I'm old, real old! 70 turning 71 this Aug and I want to continue boating for a long time. But, believe it or not, I'm not quite as nimble and sure footed as I used to be so in-mast furling is a must.
First Question: What is the difference between a MkI and a MkII in the 350's? Are there big differences?
I'm a cruiser, not a racer these days, so losing a half knot for some convenience isn't a big thing for me. Example: I don't need a nice folding prop. I'd give up the drag reduction if it means having more thrust on the back side when needed.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!!

Thank You all in advance!
and please: I welcome everyone to visit our club at: www.ocontoyachtclub.com

Steve
Oconto Yacht Club on The Green Bay
Of Lake Michigan
www.ocontoyachtclub.com
Captain Kirk

Re: Sold my C34 now looking to buy a 350

Post by Captain Kirk »

Hi Steve

One of the differences is the configuration of the transom area and the swim grid lockers.

The Mark 2 does not have opening storage lockers on the swim grid. The swim grid seats are not hinged access points. In my opinion this is a big difference, since there is no access the to the lazerettes accept from the cockpit hatches. This area is a great storage area, its where I keep my prawn traps, crab traps, spare fenders etc, that are easily accessible through these hatches. The opening lockers also greatly improve access to the fridge compressor, HW tank and any other systems that have been installed in that area. In my case my diesel hydronic heater is accessed easily through the port seat locker.

This design change I believe was necessitated by new regulations meant to keep breaking seas out of the boat. But in my opinion the locker hatches are properly latched and are safe.

I'm sure others on this forum will know of other differences.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
russp

Post by russp »

Hi Steve, Same sentiment as Kirk, I am in and out of the swim grid lockers more than anywhere else, bumpers, chairs, seats, you name it. Would be a real PITA to have to waste that space, or try and access it through the cockpit lockers - which I couldn't do on my MkI C350 anyway as it has been fitted with very handy storage shelves below the cockpit locker hatches.

If you don't want to go to complication of in-mast furling you could consider a powered winch in the cockpit. I am 71 too, but doesn't take a lot of flexibility to put your finger on the switch! I have Dutchman flaking system and it works fine to catch the sail on the way down, and you can tidy it up when back in flat water or at berth. And if you are real lazy you can run genoa sheets to the powered winch too and not do any manual winching.

Russ Peel
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Gee, at the young/old age of 67, I feel like a youngster. :)

I guess like Russ I prefer the full baton mainsail. We also have the Dutchman flaking system and it works well, but does need some attention. As the "strings" age they need to be replaced but that's a simple job. An alternative to the Dutchman system would be lazy jacks. You probably had a flaking system on your C34. We had a C320 for 18 years, it was a 1994 boat which also came with the Dutchman system.

When I'm not single-handing, my wife handles the mainsail on the foredeck when we hoist or lower it and if the seas are a little lumpy she also waits until we're at anchor or dockside to tidy up. We don't have an electric winch (yet?) as I don't find it too hard to raise the sail, plus I need the exercise.
Actually furling our 150 genoa is sometimes harder than raising the main.

The C350 is great boat, with a lot of comforts on board. Since retirement 7 years ago, we cruise for 3 to 4 months every year. We added the mattress "wings" in the forward cabin which makes the berth as wide and long as our king bed at home. Very comfy boat.

Hope you find a nice C350!
Kirk & Leah McCullough
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Gee, at the young/old age of 67, I feel like a youngster. :)

I guess like Russ I prefer the full baton mainsail. We also have the Dutchman flaking system and it works well, but does need some attention. As the "strings" age they need to be replaced but that's a simple job. An alternative to the Dutchman system would be lazy jacks. You probably had a flaking system on your C34. We had a C320 for 18 years, it was a 1994 boat which also came with the Dutchman system.

When I'm not single-handing, my wife handles the mainsail on the foredeck when we hoist or lower it and if the seas are a little lumpy she also waits until we're at anchor or dockside to tidy up. We don't have an electric winch (yet?) as I don't find it too hard to raise the sail, plus I need the exercise.
Actually furling our 150 genoa is sometimes harder than raising the main.

The C350 is great boat, with a lot of comforts on board. Since retirement 7 years ago, we cruise for 3 to 4 months every year. We added the mattress "wings" in the forward cabin which makes the berth as wide and long as our king bed at home. Very comfy boat.

Hope you find a nice C350!
Kirk & Leah McCullough
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

OK, a "counter-point".

After doing a LOT of cruising on a number of boats with fully battened mains (most of it in a Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37') I was very dubious about the in-mast furling on the Catalina 350.

Does it give as much power as a fully battened main-- no.

Is it a good compromise between power and effort required to use it-- YES.

For a cruiser, I would venture that it is likely that the furling main will provide more "miles of propulsion" as it is so much easier to use and therefore will be used more.

If you are club racing and don't get a handicap for furling main, absolutely go with the fully battened main (and probably a new one if the original is over a couple of years old/has been used much).
Last edited by wolfe10 on Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
russp

Post by russp »

Addendum - furling the jib with the electric winch is really easy too, but you need to pay attention to the ease with which the furling drum is rotating, when we bought Avalon the previous owner regularly used the winch so had no "feel" for the system and the drum was pretty much bound up with salt in the bearings, couldn't be brought in by hand, and I had to replace it. Now it spins so easily can readily be furled by hand, but if a bit difficult - straight on the high speed of the electric winch and "in".

And, re lazy jacks, my experience which I guess depends on sail shape and specific yacht, is that just when you didn't want to catch the aft lazy jack with a baton on the way up, you always did! That is the beauty of the Dutchman system in my experience, nothing to catch so you can concentrate on other things.
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

Another fan of the Dutchman system on ours. I specifically looked for a boat without in mast furling when we bought ours. That said, I can appreciate the OP wanting a furling system. I actually asked our sailmaker about cost of an in-boom system when we were pricing sails but decided it was cost prohibitive as a an add on for us. Would have liked that, though I'm still not a fan of in mast furling. The new sails will have the Dutchman system on the main. I like it much better than the lazy jacks we have on our other boat.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
stevewitt1

Post by stevewitt1 »

Captain Kirk:
I read the comparison you drew on hoisting your main verses furling your 150. When I bought my C34 i was tickled pink having halyards that ran to the cockpit. Well the first time I hoisted my main I swear I thought I was going to die! I was so depressed figuring my body had deteriorated so bad since my Allmand 31. I had a slightly shorter winch handle for clearance under the dodger but it was still a two speed self tailing winch. Just over 1/4 of the way up and I had to rest; then another 1/4 or so and another break; a third break before finally hoisting it all the way. Bear in mind my boat was also equipped
with Harken Battcar system. Any standard hoisting main sails out there, get it installed if you don't have it. It makes hoisting and dousing the sail so easy, except hoisting the sail from the cockpit on a C34.
Finally, one day I was up by the mast, having just hooked up the main halyard I decided to try hoisting it up by hand from at the mast. I almost fell over!! I raised the main over 3/4 of the way with little effort. I'm not a mechanical engineer but that was the moment I learned how much advantage you lose on a line after two 90 degree turns on small radius blocks. I know people that have replaced the blocks Catalina installed to reduce the second turn to around 45 degrees or less but I simply opted to install a winch and cleats on the mast and do it the old fashion way.
This, along with the reason that I may not be as nimble as I was before turning 70 and I still do much of my sailing single handed led my decision to want in-mast furling.
Thank you all for sharing your great experiences, I'm certain I'll be relying on your collective expertise in the future!
Steve
Oconto Yacht Club on The Green Bay
Of Lake Michigan
www.ocontoyachtclub.com
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Hi Steve

Good input, we all have our preferences and I think the furling mainsail would be great choice.

For me the more important thing is the storage available through the swim grid opening seats. As mentioned earlier, its great and easily accessible storage area. In addition the openings offer another access point for the fridge compressor and other systems. Keep your eye open for a C350 with this type of opening seat.

Let us know how things go with your search.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA