Should I replace standing rigging

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

mkalish3961

Should I replace standing rigging

Post by mkalish3961 »

Our 2003 Catalina 350 (hull 65) has been sailed lightly on S.F. Bay all these years judging from the low engine hours when we bought her in June 2020. We’ve replaced all the running rigging, the life lines, electronics etc. etc.etc. we’re considering whether we should replace all the standing rigging before the next sailing season. No obvious signs of wear which is no surprise. Any thoughts if we need to replace all the standing rigging now after almost 19 years? It’s a pretty expensive undertaking so if I can wait another year I’d like to. Thank you.
Guinevere

Re: Should I replace standing rigging

Post by Guinevere »

We were in the same situation (I didn't want to say boat :D ) a few years ago with our 2004.

I found a reputable, professional rigger and he went up the rig and thoroughly inspected all of the standing rigging, especially the fittings.
He reported that all looked great and there was nothing that needed replacing.

Worth the peace of mind (and no having to replace the rigging).

With the caveat, that the boat had been in fresh water for the first 9 years and only in salt water the last 9.

Bob
Guinevere
Pgtjs

Post by Pgtjs »

HI there,

I have been sailing and motoring Taeko 1V for 16 years since new. It has had a lot of use - 2200 hours on the engine - but I keep the maintenance up so there are no problems during the season. Every few years, perhaps every 5 years, I have a Rigger go up the mast and take a close look at the standing rigging. I have him check the operation of the halyards at the top of the mast and once had him change the lightbulbs. I check the shrouds and all connections to the chain plates accessible at the Deck level every year. I run my fingers up and down the shrouds feeling for "gotchas": tiny breaks in the steel strands, and make sure the drain holes at the bottom of the mast are fine. I am reminded that many years ago one of our owners lost his mast when a cotter pin on the forestay failed (corroded?) and the axle worked it's way out so I check all of them carefully. Actually I need the Rigger to go up this year as the Wind Vane tail has broken off and needs to be replaced - someone saw a Bald Eagle sitting at the top of the mast and the residue on the deck proved such, so perhaps it was the culprit? Incidentally I have not changed the running rigging as yet but can see it coming .

I would hire the rigger and get it all checked plus whatever else you can check yourself before I would replace the standing rigging: "If it ain't broke dont fix it...:

Geoff. S, Taeko !V, C350/ # 392, 2006, Semiahmoo, WA.
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
cuthbert

Post by cuthbert »

My 2003 (#69) has also been on the west coast its whole life. I had to tighten the rigging (used a rigger) after a hard bash up from LA to SF 10 years back. Then two or three years ago the insurer required a rigging inspection to maintain the coverage.

No problems at all. Not planning to replace unless I see a problem.
mkalish3961

Post by mkalish3961 »

Thank you all for your input! Very helpful. Seems like a thorough inspection by a reputable rigger before this coming spring is a prudent intermediate step.
Murray
Lish Grooves
‘03 #65