New Installation

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's air conditioning here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

ragtime

New Installation

Post by ragtime »

I am looking into installing AC this spring. Reviewing a number of systems, I have come across the VelAir system. It seems to offer many features above some of the others I am considering. Has anyone had experience with the VelAir system or the manufacturer the Ultraflex Group. Any insights would be helpful.
Doug Klapper
Ragtime
Jwerkjr

Re: New Installation

Post by Jwerkjr »

I am looking at the Velair to replace my existing unit. A friend has the 16k btu and he loves it. Some of the aspects he likes:

1. Stainless steel construction
2. Very low amperage draw.
3. Runs perfectly on a Honda generator. He runs a 9k btu simultaneously with the 16k off the one generator.
4. Good customer service. They replaced his control panel due to having to push quite hard to activate the buttons. No questions asked.
5. Very quiet after initial start up.

I’m going to see it in action tomorrow and will post anything noteworthy.

Joe
Joe Werkmeister
Hull # 141
Medford NY
ElizabethG

Post by ElizabethG »

Hi Joe,

Please keep us posted on the Velair as I am also looking to replace my Cruisair SXR16. Cruisair was bought out by Dometic years ago.

I'm getting mixed reviews on Dometic, but they do have what I think is a direct replacement unit for my old Cruisair. On sale, I can find one for around $2K.

The Velair looks to be in the area of $2.5K.

Thanks,

Bill
C350, #193
Atlanta (home) / Charleston, SC (boat)
Jwerkjr

Post by Jwerkjr »

Hi Bill - I saw this AC in operation and I’m definitely sold on it. I saw it priced at $3100. I have a call into the Velair tech guy. This Ac has its input on the lazarette side of the unit as opposed to the salon side. I’m trying to establish if it wii be ok to draw air from the lazarette since it is quite spacious. I’m told the tech will be in tomorrow so hopefully I’ll hear from him and have an answer. I’ll let you know when I hear from him.

Joe
Joe Werkmeister
Hull # 141
Medford NY
ElizabethG

Post by ElizabethG »

Thanks Joe!!

Bill
C350 #193
Atlanta (home), Charleston, SC (boat)
Jwerkjr

Post by Jwerkjr »

I spoke to the tech at the Velair manufacturing plant and he assures me that it is fine to pull air from the lazarette side as long as the opening is as large as the intake on the unit. So, I'll just need to cut a hole to accept a grill.
Joe Werkmeister
Hull # 141
Medford NY
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Jwerkjr wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:53 am I spoke to the tech at the Velair manufacturing plant and he assures me that it is fine to pull air from the lazarette side as long as the opening is as large as the intake on the unit. So, I'll just need to cut a hole to accept a grill.
That is OK as long as your lazarette is as "sweet smelling" as the interior of your boat. And, it is not just the lazarette, as it is open to the stern lockers as well.

That will also put a greater heat load on the A/C, as you will be effectively cooling the lazarette as well as the cabin (actually the return air will be warmed and moisture added as it goes from cabin air return to A/C intake).

I would sure work to use some ducting.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Monty

Post by Monty »

Brett is right on both notes. Any stink will be recirculated inside. And the unit will work harder than if recirculating treated air. And, the lazerettes are connected to the motor compartment via openings so you may experience orders from that. Catalina’s design for the return air works fine; it should not be discounted.
Steve Montgomery
Salty, hull #418
Deltaville, VA
Jwerkjr

Post by Jwerkjr »

Very good points! Thank you for that feedback. I hadn’t thought about the fact I’d be constantly pulling hot air in. Looks like it’s back to the drawing board! Thank you!
Joe Werkmeister
Hull # 141
Medford NY