Bahamas changed COVID Jan7th

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Fiftybucks

Bahamas changed COVID Jan7th

Post by Fiftybucks »

A Quick antigen test is required.
We plan on going to CSV in Key Biscanye.
Near No-Name park.
A printed test result is required.
1000$ fine per person if no test.
Cheers Hull #380
Triumph

Re: Bahamas changed COVID Jan7th

Post by Triumph »

Hopefully you have gone online directly to the Bahamas government websites and gotten the latest correct information. (https://travel.gov.bs)
Hopefully you are completing the Click2clear forms online and the Bahamas Health Visa online and getting it all approved before you arrive. And don't miss the 72 hour window thinking you could prove you didn't stop anywhere while in route.

Bill
TRIUMPH
Fiftybucks

Post by Fiftybucks »

Filled out Click2Clear
Health visa
Dept AGR dog permit
You can get most of the info input but the most critical is the dates like you said.
You cannot complete the above forms unless you know where and really WHEN you will arrive. All info was uploaded including vaccination (2) plus booster.

we are stuck in FT Pierce for another day due to high wind forecast.thru Sunday early afternoon.
Yes on visiting gov Bahamas web sites on requirements.
Rapid Antigen now required for all aboard and some kind of doc indicating test results. Home test kits not OK.

We found a vet in key Biscayne the will do the health certification but does require an added note that the canine COVID shot is missing. They don’t have vaccine either.

We would love to get further south but There does not seem to be marinas between here and Lake worth we don’t mind anchoring in the ICW but with the high wind forecast the admiral said no go until the wind dies down.

We are preparing a list of 29 bridges required to open plus the FT Lauderdale fixed bridge at 54 ft.

There is a 2 day window coming up on 1/19 but we might not have the documents required.to make the crossing.
Cheers Hull #380
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Where are you wanting to depart from in the U.S. and your first port of call in the Bahamas?

And, then were?

Many of us have done this many times.

In fact my brother is in the Berry Islands right now on the 350.

What are you using for weather (wind and wave) forecasts?
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Fiftybucks

Post by Fiftybucks »

No Name to Bimini.
No North wind component
Leave as early morning as required
All that after Quick antigen test and vet

From there maybe Berries Great Harbor.
Or Chub south to Exumas.

I would be appreciative of advice as I don’t have a great deal of experience.

I also have apps that can read GRIB.
Chris Parker 3 month plan but when to start?
Cheers Hull #380
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Weather application for wind, waves. Can scroll forward up to 10 days by day part:

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=25.85;-78.67;7&l=wind-10m

Another one for wind, waves and Gulf Stream info:

https://www.passageweather.com/
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Fiftybucks

Post by Fiftybucks »

Brett. Thx for the links
1/16. Gale warnings and waterspouts Jupiter to Palm
Wow been cold. Hoodies jeans etc.
Cheers Hull #380
Fiftybucks

Post by Fiftybucks »

We are at Southern tip if Key Biscayne. We will schedule quick antigen. Then complete the Health Visas. Also get Luna to the vet for health check.

Wish we could go this morning. So calm.
Cheers Hull #380
Fiftybucks

Post by Fiftybucks »

Hi all
3 days at Dinner Key. $ 177/ night
But found a guy Joe that worked on both outboards.
Great guy great resource of local knowledge.
Like don’t try to cross until it warms up. Freeze warning in Miami.
We tried to cross from Government cut and got 8 mile out and wife protested to turn around and I did reluctantly. Now at No Name. Wonderful. Wonderful.
I got a Chris Parker weather subscription.
Now all I see is Don’t Go. Huge cold front due on Saturday early. But right now clear sunny and glass. Just hard to reason all out.
By the way. Don’t take Norris Cut south of the Cargo ship Dock. It’s a trap. You can’t get out.
We tried to get mooring balls or a slip at Croydon bu all full. This is much better at No Name. 20$ / night anchor.
No weather window for a bit.
Cheers Hull #380
Fiftybucks

Post by Fiftybucks »

2nights now in Gale warning. Still in Key Biscayne. Maybe Window Feb 4.
Anchor chain hopped the gypsy 2 times.
Probably a bad idea but I put a shackle on it so it could not jump off. My1/2 snubber feels inadequate and I put a rolling hitch on the chain with 5/8 3 strand and cleated that off so if snubber fails there is something else to take the load 20kg Rocna holding fantastic. The 2nd anchor Delta is just more or less in the way it is cleated off but bangs around. Hope I can get the delta down inside the locker
Just lashed the wheel to prevent banging lock to lock.
Cheers Hull #380
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

For a snubber, I like 10 feet of 1/2" 3 strand. I WANT some stretch to moderate the "yank" as chain comes taut.

Anything of larger diameter or with less stretch doesn't mitigate that sharp yank.

BTW, at least given the forecast at this time, I don't see February 4th as a go-- wind ESE 18 knots (right on the nose if headed to Bimini) and 6' seas: https://www.ventusky.com/?p=25.49;-79.4 ... 20204/1500
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Fiftybucks

Post by Fiftybucks »

I agree with you on the forecast. Chris Parker quote ad possible window on the 4th but not optimistic.

If you have seen the strain on that 1/2 wholly cow. Water beads up under that tension.

Thx Brett.
I have a Balmar ASR-5 and have checked the settings and appear to be correct for my AGMs but alt output is only 20.1 at 1500 and goes to 41 at 2100. So charges quicker but 2100 seems way high. 80 amp alt and 10% reduction for belt slip. 2.5” pulley and stock crank pulley 4.125”.
Is this expected?
Cheers Hull #380
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

1500 engine RPM should be plenty to provide reasonable charging.

Many of us have a higher output alternator, but that doesn't address your charging at only 20 amps with an 80 amp alternator and smart regulator. You are going to be looking at a LOT of engine run time at that very low charge rate.

Assume battery voltage is down to around 12.2 VDC when you start the engine to recharge the batteries. If so, the Balmar ASR-5 should be in BULK MODE and charging over 14.0 VDC.

What voltage are you seeing at the 1500 engine RPM/20 amp charge rate?

Have you rechecked that all connections from alternator to battery switch/battery bank are clean and tight? Ground/negative as well?

Also, check for voltage at the B+ terminal and then at the battery. If more than about .2VDC drop between the alternator and battery, more the ASR-5's "voltage sense wire" to the battery itself. Not that hard to run a new14 gauge wire over to the battery bank and this will insure that your battery actually receives the charge it is supposed to.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Fiftybucks

Post by Fiftybucks »

At 1500 rpm the output is 20 amps
At 2000 rpm the output is 40 amps

At 80 % charge the voltages go up 14.25.
Which might be a different charge mode?

I have 400 aH house batteries. And checked today a little belt dust after 100 hrs.
Belt is still tight and good. No squeal.
Cheers Hull #380
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

YOU MAY WANT TO START A SEPARATE THREAD ON THE ELECTRICAL ISSUES--that way others with electrical experience will be more likely to see it and respond.

Yes, we are assuming the smart regulator is properly programmed.

14.25 VDC is fine for bulk and absorption modes.

But at 20 amp charge rate I suspect it tales a long time at 20 amps to get there.

If, as mentioned above, regulator is properly programmed (manual very clear on how to do this) and belt not slipping I would do one of two things: Replace the alternator with a higher output alternator (we have the 120 amp Balmar) OR remove the present one and take it to an alternator shop for rebuilding.

20 amp max charge rate is close to useless if on anchor and with a 400 amp-hr battery capacity.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL