Max Hoist for Mainsail?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

LI_Sound_Cat

Max Hoist for Mainsail?

Post by LI_Sound_Cat »

Hoping someone might have the “max hoist” measurement for the mainsail on a In mast furling Charleston spar on a 2003 (hull 161) 350? I’m ordering some new sails from Catalina Direct and will be taking this measurement tomorrow but would like to compare to others to make sure it is hopefully accurate. Thanks!
Dan
“Glandore”
belladonna

Re: Max Hoist for Mainsail?

Post by belladonna »

I have the same max hoist question for the same reason. My 350 is a 2005 model with the Charleston Spar and is hull number 368. Since I'm not at my boat and cannot check, is the sail number the same as the hull number? Thanx, Jim
Jim Lassiter
2005 Catalina 350 "BELLA DONNA" # 368
White Stone, VA (lower Chesapeake Bay)
LI_Sound_Cat

Post by LI_Sound_Cat »

Jim,
I believe the hull number is the same as the sail number unless you purchased secondhand sails from a different boat. You can also find the hull number from the Hull ID (HIN) on your registration. I was unable to get an accurate measurement due to winds the day I was measuring. I’ve decided to wait until I have the sails off and measure then.
Let me know if you are able to get it!
Thanks
Dan
Dan
“Glandore”
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

When measuring sails, be aware that both the old and new sails can STRETCH.

Measuring a "stretched" original sail and ordering a new one that exact length could lead to unhappy consequences.

Said another way, be sure you are not going to "two-block" the new sails.

There is no way to properly shape a sail where there is zero adjustment to luff or foot!
Last edited by wolfe10 on Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
belladonna

Post by belladonna »

Thanx guys.
Dan, did Catalina Direct ask you for the max hoist even after knowing you had a Charleston mast? It's hard to believe that the max hoist would be that different especially since sails stretch as Brett suggested. Perhaps I should get my local Evolution sailmaker to make one although it'll be more expensive. He did make my new 135 genoa last year. But if it doesn't fit then he's responsible, what do you think?? Jim
Jim Lassiter
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Yup, there is no way to properly shape a sail whose luff or foot can't be properly tensioned.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
LI_Sound_Cat

Post by LI_Sound_Cat »

Jim, I did and they wouldn’t provide as I don’t think they wanted to be responsible for any issues if it didn’t fit. I did order a 135 Genoa from them and all they needed was the make and model of my furler.

Brett - thanks for the advice, I have decided to hold off until I can get a measurement using the halyards instead of the sail. My boat is on a mooring so this is tough to do in the water and will just wait until I haul out at end of October.
Thanks for the help!
Dan
“Glandore”
belladonna

Post by belladonna »

Dan - I didn't want to order the main either because of being responsible for the luff length or max hoist. So I approached my local Evolution Sails loft who made a 135 cruising genoa for me last year and he quoted a cost of $2,160 which included a 20% Annapolis Sailboat Show discount. So for basically the same cost as Catalina Direct, the loft will be responsible for all measurements and a correct fit.
Thanx for your feedback,
Jim Lassiter