Replace discharge Pipe from Head

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's head here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

D&M

Replace discharge Pipe from Head

Post by D&M »

Hi all,
I am about to tackle the issue of replacing the joker valve and discharge pipe from the head to the top of the holding tank. The pipe seems to attach directly to the top of the holding tank somewhere in the centre. (I cannot get my hand up there to confirm where it connects.) My question is can I remove the small bulkhead panel above the tank as shown here behind the timber grab rail:
IMG_0161.jpg
IMG_0161.jpg (51.1 KiB) Viewed 2576 times
Which would enable me to access the top of the tank, without major surgery. Or is there some other method to do this?
Likewise, can you purchase replace plastic trim for the holding tank door anywhere?
TIA
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a
cuthbert

Re: Replace discharge Pipe from Head

Post by cuthbert »

David,

Have a look at the “replacing raritan with sea era” thread. It’s fairly straightforward, I got the old discharge pipe off using a radiator hose pulling tool and no panel removing etc was required. There are also comments about white sanitation hose vs heavier hose.
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

I removed the panel when I installed a new Raritan Marine Elegance commode. I had a devil of a time getting itl out. Be sure to take a utility knife and cut the caulk around the perimeter before starting. The panel will come out making access to the top of the tank MUCH easier.
The trim for the access door is called T-molding. I believe you want the 3/4" or 13/16" but measure the thickness of the door before ordering.
https://www.t-molding.com/white-t-molding.html
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
D&M

Post by D&M »

cuthbert wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:11 pm David,

Have a look at the “replacing raritan with sea era” thread. It’s fairly straightforward, I got the old discharge pipe off using a radiator hose pulling tool and no panel removing etc was required. There are also comments about white sanitation hose vs heavier hose.
I assumed you meant replacing Newport with Sea era. If so the access to the waste hose looks different to mine I put a camera up there as there is no way to get a hand in there to use the removing tool let alone undo the retaining clips. I have all three tank entry points on the top. (Waste, vent and discharge). After Ken’s reply below I think I’ll try hydrochloride acid first.
Thanks for the response though it leads me to replace all hoses other than the discharge line for the moment.
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a
hperros

Post by hperros »

I replaced the discharge hose last year. It is attached to a barbed connector on top of the holding tank. I used a heat gun very sparingly and a long kitchen knife. It needs a lot of patience. Good luck !
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331
D&M

Post by D&M »

hperros wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:59 am I replaced the discharge hose last year. It is attached to a barbed connector on top of the holding tank. I used a heat gun very sparingly and a long kitchen knife. It needs a lot of patience. Good luck !
Thanks for the reply. Did you access it via the top panel shown in the photo?
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a
hperros

Post by hperros »

I did not remove any panels. I shoved my hand behind and up on the top of the holding tank. It was okay for short durations, and the long knife helped. The hose was very badly stuck on the barbed fitting and it took me a while to remove a sufficient amount so I can pull it out.
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331
Joes

Post by Joes »

I replaced head discharge pipe last year. I removed panel at the top and exposed top of holding tank. No problems. Had to split old hose w it’s a knife to remove from barb. Soaked new hose in boiling water to fit new hose. If your problem has been the head backing up I would suggest a check of the holding tank vent on the outside of the hull. Bugs love make their nest in the opening and stops tank from breathing.

Joe Southward
MIM
Lake Macquarie
Australia
D&M

Post by D&M »

Thanks Joe appreciate the advice. Did run a hose through the vent from the outside. Does seem to be okay. Have also tried operating with tank pump out cap removed and get the problem.
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a