Lifting companionway ladder out of the way

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

SeaBreeze78

Lifting companionway ladder out of the way

Post by SeaBreeze78 »

Urban legend says this topic has been covered here in the past, but I can not find it. While motor sailing recently, strange noises came from the motor. Sounding like a fan belt issue. Two of us went below to investigate. Capt. Bill said grab the bottom of the companionway steps and pivot them up while I pull off the engine front cover. He said you know you can tie those up to the handhold on the ceiling and never have to stow the ladder.
What a great idea. No moving the 43.5 lb. steps. No leaning the steps on anything. The problem is when you raise them up the top step ends up contacting the fiberglass. Capt. Bill said some sailors have cut off the back part of the top wooden step to get the ladder to raise up further.
The top step has a horizontal gap of about 4 inches before the next lower step. The rest of the steps do not have any horizontal gaps. So I thought if the top step moved forward more it would be more like the other steps.
I removed the top step. It can only be moved forward about a half inch before the metal supports under the steps can be seen peaking out behind the two wings. This to me is the limiting factor. So I moved the center section forward a 1/2 inch. and screwed it back down. Then lined up the two wings with the center section and screwed them into position. Raising the ladder up till it was against the vertical fiberglass wall. I approximated where to cut the wing in a parallel line to the wall, using blue tape. Using a jig saw set at a 20 degree angle, I shaved off about 3/8” of wood. Allowing the steps to raise up higher with out being able to see the metal supports below the wings. Measuring from the cabin sole to the bottom of the steps. Prior to the alterations, it would only raise up 16”. Now I can raise up to 24”.
Attachments
Ladder raised to 24” suspended from handhold above.
Ladder raised to 24” suspended from handhold above.
FD8DC087-3C09-4E0B-81D6-2B92D51207CC.jpeg (36.94 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
Wing with my tape to show where to cut. It is cut at a 20 degree angle.
Wing with my tape to show where to cut. It is cut at a 20 degree angle.
9D1CBB82-4106-4823-85BC-6CCCF84C5D1A.jpeg (25.67 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
View from the top after modifications.
View from the top after modifications.
6D996743-B025-42BF-9FE6-09D1A5778AF8.jpeg (25.7 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
View from the side showing the angle cut.
View from the side showing the angle cut.
6988CEF7-73E4-45FB-A592-1EBBAA0F3043.jpeg (27.77 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
sargentef

Re: Lifting companionway ladder out of the way

Post by sargentef »

I have cut the wooden top step on each side all the way back to the supporting bracket that the step is secured to, this allows you to tie the ladder up parallel to the floor. In addiction, I have cut the bottom step, starboard side all the way back to the supporting bracket to give more clearance getting in and out of galley. I was always striking my leg on ladder.
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

An integrating concept-- just swinging the ladder up vs removing it.

BUT (yes, large BUT), were that ladder to fall while you are working on the engine, the next call may be to your life insurance carrier.

I would not trust the teak overhead handrails to support that weight. Winches and cleats on either side of the companionway would provide a much more robust anchor for the lines holding up the companionway ladder.

Said another way, the teak handrails may hold that weight-- until they don't!
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
SeaBreeze78

Post by SeaBreeze78 »

Brett:

Ingenious answer using the two winches on the cabin deck. Yes, I was concerned about the catastrophic damage from a single point failure of tying to the handrail above. I tried your idea out, and it works great. I will submit a photo below showing a single line holding the ladder up. But you can easily tie two lines to two different winches. I just made a loop using a bowline and slipped it over the winch then dropped it down the companionway.
“Two is one, one is none”

Dana Vihlen
SeaBreeze hull #78
Attachments
Companionway ladder being held with a line around the port winch above the cabn. Note: Engine hatch held open by a hook and string.
Companionway ladder being held with a line around the port winch above the cabn. Note: Engine hatch held open by a hook and string.
D42DFBDD-9912-4E1B-A27B-DE60F9CF9332.jpeg (103.17 KiB) Viewed 974 times