Icebox drain pipe and water in floorboards

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Basil

Icebox drain pipe and water in floorboards

Post by Basil »

I wonder if there is any way to inspect the drain pipe beneath the refrigerator that connects to the footpump. I am curious to figure out if the fitting at the bottom of the refrigerator is somehow cracked and maybe water is leaking out before it reaches the footpump. I ask since I am finding a lot of water seeping under my wood vaneer floorboards (and above the "skin" that they are screwed into. I am calling this "between layer" water since it is not in the bilge. When I walk across the floor near the fridge, water gushes and squirts up from the edges of the floor. In the past, I have seen melted ice water spill out of the fridge door ontop of the floor and find its way into this "between layer". But I was careful to not let that happen this season and yet I still have this "between" layer water. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you address it?
Barry & Fern Silverman
Honeymooner, Hull #240
Annapolis- Back Creek
tedseward

Re: Icebox drain pipe and water in floorboards

Post by tedseward »

Don't know what the source of water on the cabin floor might be in your case. In my case the small drain holes on either side of the deck just forward of the traveler had become clogged, causing a buildup of water under the panel in which the deck hatch slides. During heavy rain the water overflowed the hatch railings into the cabin. Have you looked in the "wine locker"...the small compartment with hatch on the sole between the sink and fridge? It has no drain holes so any water from the fridge or other source will build up in there.
Ted Seward
s/v New Horizons