Removing and Replacing Charles Battery Charger

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Tim April IV

Removing and Replacing Charles Battery Charger

Post by Tim April IV »

(I've had April IV since new in 2003, hull #68, but haven't posted here in probably 10 years....but I do receive and read the daily roundup of messages)

How do I remove the original Charles battery charger? I see 4 screws, but there have to be nuts inside the wall, doesn't there? I'm fearful that unscrewing the visible screws will allow some nuts to drop into the bilge and what should be an easy job will go the way of many boat repair tasks. Probably will go with the Blue Seas charger as a replacement, but it will have to attach to the wall somehow too.

Are there captive nuts, is it just screwed to the wall, is there some magic access for my old man arms to reach the nuts? What's the secret?

Thanks
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle
KenKrawford

Re: Removing and Replacing Charles Battery Charger

Post by KenKrawford »

Tim, my charger is just fastened with pan head sheet metal screws. All you have to do is remove the 2 on the right side and slightly loosen the ones on the left. The mounts on the charger are slots rather than holes so the whole until will slide off to the right once the right side screws are removed.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Tim April IV

Post by Tim April IV »

Thanks Ken. So, sheet metal screws into the fiberglass?

Seems easy enough.......(He says sheepishly, knowing how these things turn out all too often).
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle
Bob_A

Post by Bob_A »

I too removed the old Charles under the nav table.
Just the pan head screws as well. No through bolts.
It is important to trace the wiring back through to the AC panel and to battery(s) and get it out.
You'll be happy you did.
I have pulled out an arm full of redundant wiring others just taped off and abandoned.
Bob & Cherie
Cheeky Monkey - Hull 363
Vancouver, BC